Star and Serpent is looking for a coder to join voxel game project

Note to ALL developers: be really careful about writing defensive / negative responses to posts made about your game. You must resist the urge to defend your position, swollen your pride and take the criticism on the chin, or do what I do, and ignore it. Even if the post is simply wrong or just nasty for the sake of it,

‘the customer is always right’ : it is a way to conduct your business, not a statement about the truths of the world.

Ignored nasty comments will die right there, if you respond, it gives the poster a chance to write more garbage.

Sorry to @Pilvinen, this is not directed at you, it is for everyone, I’m just using this specific thread as an example. I think you do an exemplary job with your communications, and this specific example did resolve itself.

I am guilty of doing this in the past, so I’m writing from experience, not a golden throne :wink:

Right. Well, I suppose I could have worded my response a bit better and perhaps turned it into a question like “What do you mean?”

But also, I don’t think it’s dead serious.

Everyone gets criticism and shit talk at one point or another. It doesn’t matter if you’re the most wonderful saintly person who has ever lived on Earth - you will always be criticized.

Some people will like you and what you’re doing and some people won’t like you no matter what you do.

So, I dunno, just be yourself?

I guess my personal favorite has always been the one dev from 7 Days to Die development team (lead dev?) who told me to eat shit and die on their forums when I told him that their new motion capture animations looked as if they had hired a couple of epileptic hobos off the streets to do the motion acting.

Yeah not sure if that’s always the case. In a recent steam community discussion I was completely honest about the dev problems we are having in our team and a guy or two said it was unprofessional and some other things. :neutral_face:

The trick is to always be yourself in a way that will take real effort to be taken in a wrong way.

Although it’s generally frowned upon if you are mean to paying customers there is, however, nothing wrong with being “unprofessional” when it’s you who is making the rules, ie. if you are your own boss and not working for someone who makes the rules.

It’s just a classic case of people trying to reflect their own sense of right and wrong upon you. Some decades ago they would have questioned your sanity and called you insane. A few centuries back they might have attacked your character and morals and called you ungentlemanly.

There is a constant invisible war raging among humans where we try to assert our dominance over others. What you experienced is just one form of that - someone questioning your character. “You should not do that, it’s not acceptable. You should do it like this, otherwise you will not be accepted.”

Remember that humans are animals. Would you get upset if a dog barked at you? Treat humans the same way - with understanding and calm. Stare them down and assert your dominance over the pack.

Well no, the society who buys your product makes the rules. And you’re not going to change the people’s long learned social hivemind all by yourself just by being edgy.

Fine, let’s agree to disagree. I’ll say what’s what people want to hear and you go ahead and get yourself burned at the stake. Alright? :grin:

Not with an attitude like that, that’s for sure. Cheer up!

Metaphorically? That’s just a matter of point of view.

@MoffKalast is actually right, the game is made for the player so you better know your audience better than they know them self and use that to strengthen your game. and remember a good game designer is a good listener.

Inevitably I feel this conversation is getting a little bit side tracked. It’s not that I don’t enjoy a good conversation as much as the next person, but is any one of you people actually considering joining our development team? Because, you know, I would love that. :relaxed:

But oh man! I just have to take this bait…

Actually, my attitude towards game development is that I’m making a game for myself. That’s my primary concern - that it pleases me. If someone else likes it, well, let’s just say that’s their problem.

In my humble opinion you can’t develop games for the masses and still remain true to yourself. The moment you start to consider how others might feel about something you will stumble and fall.

Why do I think that?

Because you can’t really know anyone’s heart. And you can’t please everyone. If you live your life trying to please other people it’s a terrible situation to be in. In my opinion it is better to be yourself - and let that heal, harm, or influence other people according to their will.

If power stops and asks “why?” and all that.

that’s weird, how could you play a game that you know every corner in it.

that’s why I said you need to know the players more than they know them selfs most of the time player don’t know what they want, I mean even you don’t know sometimes what you actually want and you are the one that’s making the game imagining just playing it.

obviously, you can’t that’s why you need to target your game to a specific audience and build the game for them. this will greatly improve your game.

I suppose it would depend on the game type somewhat. Let’s say… a classic adventure game. I could very well understand that it might not be as rewarding to play that since you already know everything within the limited scope of the game.

But… we’re making a sandbox game, a voxel game where you can freely modify the world. It’s more about you being creative and interacting with the environment which can behave in unpredictable ways even though you know the essential game mechanics.

Even taking all that into account I do have to say, having modded games extensively, that after the size of the codebase grows and grows at some point you don’t really know everything that’s in the game anymore. I’ve often been in a situation where my players have been asking me “How does this thing work?” and I really don’t know the answer without having to check the code even though I have coded it myself.

So, I’ve always found it very refreshing to play my own creations. It also gives a possibility to try to leverage your knowledge of the game - and then fix the shortcomings that are ripe for exploitation provided that you simply know enough about the game. When you get beyond the simple game mechanics in such a way that all the information in the world doesn’t really give you an edge without balanced player skills, character skills, and some interaction - then you’ve really entered the ultimate endgame and the game starts to live it’s own life.

So I guess for me knowing every corner of the game only makes it even more interesting.

I somehow agree with that :smile:; thanks for sharing your experience.

It’s that time again.

(Volunteer position)

Looking for a project? How about our project? Let’s talk.

Oh. I forgot to mention that we open sourced our voxel engine under MIT license. You can find it here:

It has test game which should create a minimal flat world which shows that the engine is working. Nothing fancy right now.

We started work on world generator a couple of days ago. When we have something to show we’ll open source that as well.

Forums:

Discord chat:

Still looking for coders/people interested in collaborating.