Starting With JME and Android

Hi I just stumbled upon this site, and am planning to start developing a game for android. I know how to make applet games (game loop, collision detection). Ive played around with the android sdk for a while.

I dont know how to use the jme with an android applicaiton. Help?  :-o

Umm… Yeah ppl, I'd like to know too…

but… from some other threads (which I'll assume you looked through) you can link to it as an external source… somehow…

Would be nice if there was a guide…

It’s still in the early stages I’m afraid, but we finally acquired a dedicated developer to work on it. He’s currently doing a great job assessing Kirill’s initial implementation, figuring out where we need to go on from here. The current estimate is another 2 months and jME can boast itself with complete Android compatibility.

Unfortunately the only way to experiment with jme-android at this point would be to dig into the source and basically ‘figure it out’ The strictly jME3 related docs are coming along nicely though, and with lots more to follow as we take take the grand step into first alpha any day now. If you have time, I’d strongly recommend taking 2 months to get closely affiliated with jME3, and by then hopefully you’ll have some stable Android features to develop with.

Hi erlend_sh!

First of all, you're all (the entire team) doing a wonderful task on JME and am thrilled with the alpha release of JME.

I'm interested in using android as well for a game, however could you perhaps explain to me what the differences are between a desktop and an android release?

Im asking because I plan to make a JME game and then port it to android when there is support for it. Is this a smart way to approach this or should I wait for android support and start from scratch?

Thanks and keep up the good work!  :D

Darklord said:

Im asking because I plan to make a JME game and then port it to android when there is support for it. Is this a smart way to approach this or should I wait for android support and start from scratch?

Thanks and keep up the good work!  :D

In general there will be no major differences in how the scene is handled. The assetManager probably wont be multithreaded and of course bleeding edge materials with shaders and whatnot will probably not run well on Android. Apart from that everything you learn about jme3 now should be valid on jme3-android later as well.
For jMP, tools are planned that allow you to write an jme3 application once and deploy it as desktop, webstart, applet, android.

To be honest I don't know how well this will work, especially with older devices like HTC Hero, which don't even have floating point! Your best bet right now is probably those Android 2.1-2.2 devices with OpenGL ES 2.0, good graphics chips and fast processors. Either way you'll still have to go low poly…

It won't be easy to deploy on both a desktop and a mobile platform, and make full use of their capabilities at the same time.

Well I plan to make an android-only release, but since JME doesnt have full android support yet… I wanted to make a start already so all I have to do is port it to an Android capable phone. Since I have no android phone whatsoever, im curious how many poly's one should think to keep it running. (Android 2.1).

That jMP feature you mentioned sounds really great in theory.

If someone is still looking for the same, you may start with this boilerplate code. It is based on the Android Studio v3 with JME v3.2
https://github.com/leader94/JmeWithAndroid

1 Like