Stereoscopic 3D

Hi,

I have just tried to enable the stereoscopic 3D appsetting of my game, but it didn’t work (gives a ton of popup error dialogs and I need to use taskManager to shut down JMP (It does this with normal fullscreen as well, but that works), and it doesn’t open the game display). I have tried it in fullscreen at the full resolution (Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit.getScreenSize()), both with my onboard gpu (intel HD graphics 4000) as with my graphics card (NVidea GeForce 710M), both of which support 3D blue rays.

While I was testing this, my laptop was connected to an active 3D tv by an HDMI cable, and I had the same results when using only the tv as a screen as with using both the laptop’s screen as the tv.

I’ve checked some stuff, and windows detects that the tv is a 3D screen, but when I switch between 3D modes, it only switches between overlapping the left and right sides, overlapping the top and bottom halves, and normal 2D, not the full HD stereoscopic view that I want.

Does this mean that my computer doesn’t support stereoscopic 3D for games, even though it supports 3D blue rays? Or is stereoscopic 3D not as simple as settings.setStereo3D(true)?

Anyway, if the normal, full resolution 3D is unsupported, what would be the best way to do it by having the left side represent the left eye and the right side of the screen represent the right eye? Multiple cameras? Or a filter effect that creates the view for the left and right eyes out of the rendered image and the depth buffer? Or is there some other method?

Anyway, many thanks in advance for your help.

Please post enough error messages so we can see whether they’re being emitted by the driver, the operating system, or JME itself.
Also, please post the console output from the program if there’s a chance that JME did notice something unusual.

Without that, it’s unlikely anybody will be able to help you.
Unless it’s a well-known problem. However, 3D displays are rare enough that problems in that area tend to be less than well-known.

It appears that the hundreds of popup error messages came from jmonkeyplatform instead of from the game itself. Apparently, jmonkeyplatform errors a lot and refuses to work everytime I try to run my game in fullscreen mode. So I have tried it again trough the command prompt, so I could view the console output, and this is what it gave me:
[java]nov 04, 2013 7:12:19 PM com.jme3.app.Application handleError
SEVERE: Failed to create display
org.lwjgl.LWJGLException: Capabilities not supported
at org.lwjgl.opengl.WindowsPeerInfo.nChoosePixelFormat(Native Method)
at org.lwjgl.opengl.WindowsPeerInfo.choosePixelFormat(WindowsPeerInfo.java:52)
at org.lwjgl.opengl.WindowsDisplay.createWindow(WindowsDisplay.java:228)
at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.createWindow(Display.java:303)
at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.create(Display.java:845)
at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.create(Display.java:754)
at com.jme3.system.lwjgl.LwjglDisplay.createContext(LwjglDisplay.java:140)
at com.jme3.system.lwjgl.LwjglAbstractDisplay.initInThread(LwjglAbstractDisplay.java:113)
at com.jme3.system.lwjgl.LwjglAbstractDisplay.run(LwjglAbstractDisplay.java:207)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
nov 04, 2013 7:12:19 PM com.jme3.system.lwjgl.LwjglAbstractDisplay run
SEVERE: Display initialization failed. Cannot continue.
[/java]
So, there seems to be something wrong with the pixel format?
I am not sure what this means exactely, does this mean that the 3D mode is unsupported or that the current combination of settings just doesn’t go well with the 3d?

Dunno what the exact cause here is.
The important message is on line 3: One of the most basic functions (querying 3D capabilities) does not work on that 3D display. Either the driver is disabled for that device, or it is somehow malfunctioning with it - it might even be a driver bug in Stereo3D mode.