Stuck at animations phase, Blender 2.69

@avpeacock said: Sorry to intervene in the topic.

Would a “frequent errors” guide be helpful do you think? I’d happily start that for dealing with model importing, it might save a lot of time you guys replying individually to a lot of the same problems.

I’m a little skeptical that anyone would ever look there. For this particular issue, it probably makes more sense to mention it in the animation tutorial. https://wiki.jmonkeyengine.org/legacy/doku.php/jme3:beginner:hello_animation Then at least the information is in proper context for people trying to learn about the system.

The problem with putting it in some kind of “frequent errors” doc is that you only hit people that a) thoroughly scour the docs, and/or b) do a search for AnimControl. For (a) they would find it in the contextual location also and for (b) they would have found 40 forum hits on this topic already.

1 Like
@avpeacock said: Would a "frequent errors" guide be helpful do you think?
Yes! Please follow Paul's advice and edit hello_animation. "Common Pitfalls" would be a good catch-all heading I think.
@pspeed said: I'm a little skeptical that anyone would ever look there. For this particular issue, it probably makes more sense to mention it in the animation tutorial. https://wiki.jmonkeyengine.org/legacy/doku.php/jme3:beginner:hello_animation Then at least the information is in proper context for people trying to learn about the system.

The problem with putting it in some kind of “frequent errors” doc is that you only hit people that a) thoroughly scour the docs, and/or b) do a search for AnimControl. For (a) they would find it in the contextual location also and for (b) they would have found 40 forum hits on this topic already.

I think I didn’t explain that quite as well!

I mean for all asset importing rather than just animation. There’s a lot of questions that seem to come up frequently and docs don’t explain them, so you can either search(which when you’re new to the problem, you don’t always have the skills for the right search terms), or ask on the forums.

In the context of just dealing with animation, I completely agree with your comments =). But, I think as a wider thing “Import asset troubleshooting guide” that people could read before asking for help on the forums would be good and wouldn’t require a thorough scanning of documentation. I personally find the documentation a bit fragmented and difficult to find answers at times(and I miss information unless it is crystal clear), however, I am dyslexic so most things are like that for me anyway! :). Hence I think a document on trouble shooting frequent errors(with some lovely pictures and examples) could work quite well.

However, I will do as you guys please :).