Suggestions for v3.4

I did it with JME blender. It’s not hard, really to transfer a directory to a new repo and keep the history.

1 Like

Please point me to instructions.

Edit: note: as I recall, you can skip some of what he talks about as our case is simpler or something. Don’t be afraid to blow the target away and try again if something goes south. I think the first time I did this it took me two times to get it right.

4 Likes

Today I plan to archive jme3-bullet, jme3-bullet-native, jme-bullet-native-android, jme3-examples, jme3-jbullet, and related build files to a new repo in jMonkeyEngine-Contributions. I’ve decided to try Trong Thanh’s technique, only using “git filter-repo” instead of the deprecated “git filter-branch”.

Sometime in the next few weeks, I hope to delete everything specific to native Bullet (including jme3-bullet) from the Engine. Expect a pull request. Getting rid of native Bullet should simplify the task of eliminating JCenter/BinTray dependencies, which will be part of issue 1468.

I don’t have plans to remove jme3-jbullet from the Engine, but since much of its sourcecode is hard-linked to jme3-bullet, archiving them together seems like a good precaution. And this way we’ll have a recent archive if/when someone decides to remove jme3-jbullet.

Edit: The new repo is here. Note that it includes “master” branch only—none of the other branches.

Edit^2: The project builds for desktops, but the jme3-bullet-native-android build is broken due to missing files from jme3-android. For this reason, I disabled the GitHub Actions workflow.

3 Likes

what was the reason for jme3-examples into Contribution?

wasnt JME Tests core related? (jmonkeyengine/jme3-examples/src/main/java/jme3test)

1 Like

Yeah, I don’t think we ever discussed moving jme3-examples… unless he’s just referring to the bullet-related parts.

The benefits to having jme3-examples in the main repo are manifold… not the least of which is making sure that they always still compile as we make other changes.

I have no plans to remove jme3-examples from the main repo. I archived it for 2 reasons:

1. So I could verify that the archived physics libraries still work.
  2. So that we’ll have a recent archive of the physics examples if/when someone decides to remove jme3-jbullet.
2 Likes

Ready for review: pull request 1474

4 Likes