Suggestions

I need to create any kind of game in java for my thesis, any suggestions?? :smiley:

For me it sounds your advisor don't want you to succeed, don't like games, hasn't any experiences with game-dev  or is just a jerk. I think if you want to create an application with singleplayer and multiplayer-mode you have to know that you have two real hard tasks (additional to the getting familiar with 3d game development): AI and a story for the singleplayer and Network-Syncronization for multiplayer. Both are not easy to handle and I advice to concentrate on one of both. Good luck. It will be an exhausting time for you that is for sure…

I need to create any kind of game in java for my thesis, any suggestions??

Strange posting...A one sentence first post....no good style if you really want someone to help you.

OK,...i tought about it and I have the perfect idea for you! A mmorpg would be cool! Just a bit like WoW. Maybe better graphics. I think that shouldn't be a problem

does it have to be a "game" or could it be a simulation system? Because i can think of all types of cool stuff to simulate

How much time have you got? I got a couple concept papers I could send your way if you got like 4-6 months of fairly dedicated work time on your hands.

Just make sure the scope is something you can finish…  Start small in concept and you can always add things later

I've been wanting to make a game where a bunch of violent monkeys beat up people coding in XNA, I think that could fit in one term :smiley:

sbook said:

Just make sure the scope is something you can finish...  Start small in concept and you can always add things later

I've been wanting to make a game where a bunch of violent monkeys beat up people coding in XNA, I think that could fit in one term :D

Hey now...that's not nice! (Im working on an XNA project for a senior project :P)

:? Don't you have a subject for your thesis ?

Highway Hero

Fly a cool high-tech-helicopter over a highway and keep the highway safe, fast, and clean!

1. Push trucks from the middle to the right lane.
  2. Catch stupid kids, who throw rocks from bridges.
  3. Collect car parts, which are on the road.
  4. Remove warning signs for construction zones, where actually no construction zones are.
  5. Turn around ghost drivers.

Send me a link to the game, when you make it. I would like to play it. :slight_smile:
JackNeil said:

Highway Hero
Fly a cool high-tech-helicopter over a highway and keep the highway safe, fast, and clean!
1. Push trucks from the middle to the right lane.
2. Catch stupid kids, who throw rocks from bridges.
3. Collect car parts, which are on the road.
4. Remove warning signs for construction zones, where actually no construction zones are.
5. Turn around ghost drivers.

Send me a link to the game, when you make it. I would like to play it. :)

I'd shake that pilot's hand and buy him a beer

Guys thanks for the suggestion! to be specific, it can be a simulation system, I am just more concern on algorithms and somewhat 3d graphics, is it difficult to create a FIRST PERSON SHOOTING GAME?

jdelcallar said:

Guys thanks for the suggestion! to be specific, it can be a simulation system, I am just more concern on algorithms and somewhat 3d graphics, is it difficult to create a FIRST PERSON SHOOTING GAME?

What is your level of experience with Java/ as a programmer?
What games have you already created?
How much time do you plan to invest in the project?

It all depends on what you mean by difficult:

JackNeil here created an awesome FPS in relatively small amount of time… check out GrapplingHook

Hamster has been working on his for a long time, and it keeps getting better and better, and bigger and bigger: http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/forum/index.php?topic=5535.0

The general advise is as other have said. Go humble, grow bigger if you have time left.

I am working on an FPS demo as we speak, and making sure jME3 has all the functionality required. So, if you use jME3, making an FPS will be easy  :wink:

So far, i consider java as my favorite programming language! I had written many programs, simulations and applications. but this is my first time to create a game in java, i have 5 months to finish this project, if you have open source games that you can share to me or documentation, i would appreciate that. thanks! you can send it to my email, uc_jdelcallar@yahoo.com

Have a look here:

http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/forum/index.php?topic=9594.0

There you might find something you can use. And have a good time! :smiley: With all your experience and the initiative you are showing it should be no problem for you to finish a game in 5 month.

My adviser in thesis is giving headache all the time. he thinks that a single player FPS is easy and simple. He said that we are Computer Science students, we should think of a game that is more complex.

Right now i'm proposing a project that is FPS online, LAN and single player

what do you think guys?

Focus and a strong vision is the key to finish anything, especially when you are a single developer. (When you get paid, this rule is a bit different. )

When singleplayer is not an option for your advisor, than drop it and focus on multiplayer. This will be hard enough, especially, when the online-multiplayer should be playable. LAN only would be easier, because of better ping, no lost packages, less unexpected connection problems…

JackNeil makes an important point; you’re much better off trying to make either single or multiplayer work really well (i.e. be fun). Stick with intense focus on just one rather than both, as single vs multiplayer gameplay are two very different designs.

Your ‘adviser’ sounds like an absolute loon to me. I suppose one way of looking at it would be that the FPS genre having been around for as long as it has, there are now fairly standardized methods around on the web to accomplish many of the key features that one would expect of such a game.

Half the point might be that you are supposed to be confronted with entirely new game logic? If that is the case, then making a game like Grappling Hook should give you full marks, if it hadn’t been done already (nuts!). Sounds to me like what you did to please your adviser so far was to simply add a lot more to your workload, not necessarily challenge yourself with a more daunting game concept. Maybe all it takes is one entirely new game mechanic that cannot be immediately grasped, like how watching a video of Osmos doesn’t really make you understand how to play the game, but it looks intriguing, and once you play the game you get it within seconds. I had the same thing with Braid.

I wouldn't be absolutely critical on the advisor, he probably doesn't know what goes into it. You should do some research into all the little factors that go into a FPS game, and present a plan to him detailing what you'll need to do.

He has a point where if you make something very simple, it may only take a month or two to actually setup. But on the other hand, you have a limited time (semester or two, depending on when your thesis is due, and your class workload), so if you try to attempt something too complex, you may fail at achieving all your features. It's a tricky balancing act (something I'm currently doing myself, though it's about shader work, and not creating a game - actually, I have a senior project AND a thesis…my senior project is a game [team developed] that will use my thesis work  :D).

If it's a year long project, a multiplayer component would be awesome. But there's also other areas you could focus tremendously on such as AI.

And of course, I'd imagine you'd want to create something that's polished and has clean/good code. While sure you could whip something up that's very basic, very fast (probably what he's thinking), it wouldn't be nearly as polished as a project you spent more time on. So that's another point you could make to him.