Sure you want to know why I call my self snaga (I have such big ego...)

…is in relation to a Tolkien term used by the Uruks, bigger orcs, mid human/ mid orcs, generated by Saruman, which considered the original orcs as inferior creatures, their "slaves" (snaga)

Now you put that in relation to the usual relation between Boss and employee (at least my case as a gfx snaga grunt) , and you get the idea… :wink:

Now you will end up your day wiser.

:mrgreen:

I just like that emoticon, I know is not related.

:?.. :|… :smiley:

You have such a big ego you've named yourself slave?!  :?  I don't get it  :stuck_out_tongue:

:smiley:

btw, I never dump my theories in a forum, but…

did u know orcus was for roman mythology a sort of ugly demon ?

and that uruk was a city of Babilonia ?

uruk, which in greek is written "Orcho

You have such a big ego you've named yourself slave?!  huh  I don't get it

Orcs are supposed to be weird. Not clever, logical people.

They don't read help files.

And are mostly crazy.

The big ego mention is for to spend such chunk of bandwidth in speaking about a nick...

I ddidn't decide to be an slave; ask my freagging bossssses (...orc speaking...)

An snaga is a dangearous slave, anyway...hehe

:mrgreen:

hehe

I think maybe you should cut back on the mushrooms a little!

:smiley:

hehe

snaga said:
did u know orcus was for roman mythology a sort of ugly demon ?

and that uruk was a city of Babilonia ?
uruk, which in greek is written "Orcho

Ever heard of the German metal band called Blind Guardian?

They did an album inspired by the Silmarillion called Nightfall in Middle-Earth.

It’s an awesome album and saved me having to read the book!  XD

Blind Guardian is freakin' awesome!!

I'm going to see them in concert this friday(12/1) in Worcester, MA!!

They're an awesome fantasy metal band, not only do they sing about Tolkien books, they also have songs/albums dedicated to other fantasy books, like Stephen King's, Gunslinger series (which is fantastic and if you haven't read it you should pick it up).

Didnt know about that… before the film, there was already loads of fan people about Tolkien…My liking of it is since many years, when I read the books.

"Really interesting!!! I am a old fan of "The Hobbit" and "The Lord of the Rings" and I am currently reading (I must admit, really slowly) "The Silmarillion"."

I read that one, long ago. Is quite harder to read than the others :wink:

Imho one is more eager to read it once read all the others, though unsure if it'd be th best order…

I guess the usual is the best…first The Hobbit :wink:

BTW, there was a font to write in dwarf runes… ;D

" One of the most interesting things is the role of Galadriel, responsible as her brothers of the well known slaughter of Teleri in Alqualond

snaga said:
" One of the most interesting things is the role of Galadriel, responsible as her brothers of the well known slaughter of Teleri in Alqualond

sfera, didnt know about that… BTW, am quite far of identifying myself with a half an snake human…  :wink: :wink:

Probably they decided to translate Ogres with Orchetti (=Little Ogres) to clearly distinguish simple Ogres from uruk-hais.

Traslation looses a lot of the subtle details, I guess. Not allways, though.I guess depends on how good is the translator or translators.

In my country, if my memory doesnt fail, the traslation made it hard for me to actually guess "trasgos" were actually the goblins... That evil creature fro the woods, as common in nordic mythology as the fairies. But not actually known in my country usually with that name.

Yes it is possible. Even if in the contemporary age, in the North-East Italy, where I live, Ogres or Orcuses are exactly like every North European Ogre, generally seen as a big, orrible and dangerous humanoid.

Sort of...kind of...big gorillish human, walking like bent, with the teeth of a wild board, ugly as heck, with sparse hair in sveral parts of the body, strong smelling, with probably signs of the magic used to degenerate them, etc...

The film catched a lot of the idea of the sort of a zombie guy...A route like any other...I'd envision em different, though...

And they arent described as having green skin...This is mostly a warhammer marketting stuff, imho. :D

The troll is pretty like the troll deinitions you find in norse mithology...Well, I think in that one, they are a bit...like not so heavy or fat, but just taller guys, freaking ugly of course, but more like giants, as a human that is very tall (ie: not huge shoulders and wide backs ) For one reason or another, long hairs, very long ones, most of illustrations I found, made me think of who knows if happened like with witches: in certain medieval areas, a woman or a man that lived apart of society,(and teribly, a person with a mental problem, was thought often to have devil inside) was easily considered like magic, pervert, witch...or who knows if as a troll...This is my powerful imagination again...but i have no sort of history background for say this ;) . But who knows, maybe that of they convert in stone with the first rays of the sun (nobody thought in vampires when reading this in Tolkien's book or others?) (though in the same Silmarillion it's mentioned how later on Sauron or the other nice guy generates trolls sun light - proof )  ...who knows if some tall guys with ugly appeareance, lived in the woods and had to hide from the ppl then...and just went out to rob some food only at night... i guess creatures legends like ogres and trolls and stuff, often get born like that...Other times, they're not, of course.

Yep, I did read the third one in Foundation, and now that you say I think it was a little heavier. Asiomov used this saga to play a lot with human old history, is a lot of resemblance with Roman empire and stuff...
As also playing with his deep knowledge of science, and... going beyond the limits as he wished ;)

Cool to find another fantasy genre bunch of fans ;)

Especially as...Before all this sort of bunch of morpgs, and fans about fantasy and medieval worlds, tehre was already on inet (but my liking of it comes from when there was no inet anywhere)  many groups  and freaks about this. remember historic fights about if Balrogs had wings... And great oil/acrilycs illustrators about Tolkien world.(nasmith, etc)

So, is cool that ppl learns also the thing wasnt invented by blizzard or something ;) But this has centuries of history and mythology...and that world is really richer...BTW, never liked the color gammas of WOW, neither the way they toonish all...is ok for a variation, but not that all rpgs wanna be like that....Linneage and Guildwars have the realistic aesthetics I prefer...Not to say I dont enjoy the fun looking of many warhammer metal or plastic painted figures, but... Till an extent, no saturation ;)

I made some concept art for some sort of this game that went comercial, but not in the way I wanted, not in the time needed, etc. Not proud of it..

Most of the definitions of how these mythological creatures look have been continued from the artistry in the Advanced Dungeons And Dragons books of the 70's such as the Monster Manual

…welll… I think…illustrators usually go to sources…I do at least. Ie, if illustrating something of Tolkien, I got ot Tolkiens descriptions in several books of a creature, and try to just fill in the gaps maybe left after that… A bad illustrator wont do that…tho I consider as good to make more free versions…Both are better than clone allways a marketted model…

If you refer to the ones in video games and warhammer…i don'tknow.

I used to like specially the Ted Nasmith landscpaes (the figures are good, but in that i prefer other illustrators, (just a preference!) ). Wether if is influenced or not by someone, I havent stopped to dig…

http://www.tednasmith.com/silmarillion/index.html

…And of course, enojoy my own artwork, hehe.

Ender, you studied Fine Arts ? I did…such as an unemployed ppl generator… :wink: :wink:

BTW, there are lots of pre -film illustrators of Tolkien stuff…sadly, many do make terrible human proportions and basic drawing skills errors… So, I'd say I maybe liking only 2 or 3, and not like something I'd say "wow" (no attempt of playing with words…)

Quote:
Ender, you studied Fine Arts ? I did...such as an unemployed ppl generator... Wink Wink

Yes I do. But I do it by myself, no school, becouse my parents did not want me to study fine arts and wanted me to study science. So I abbandoned the University to follow my dreams, even if I like also programming and math and phisics. If you want you can visits the links in my signature and you will see some of my comics.

snaga said:
And they arent described as having green skin...This is mostly a warhammer marketting stuff, imho. :D

And the not-green skin version is the one I prefer. My vision of Ogres has its background taken by the illustrations of the rules books of Das Schwarze Auge a RPG realy similar to D&D.

snaga said:
The troll is pretty like the troll deinitions you find in norse mithology...Well, I think in that one, they are a bit...like not so heavy or fat, but just taller guys, freaking ugly of course, but more like giants, as a human that is very tall (ie: not huge shoulders and wide backs ) For one reason or another, long hairs, very long ones, most of illustrations I found [...]

And it is exactly the same rappresentation I found on rules books of DSA.
Moreover, I am agree with you: probably this leggends was taken from a distorsion of particular persons "that lived apart of society".

snaga said:
Yep, I did read the third one in Foundation, and now that you say I think it was a little heavier. Asiomov used this saga to play a lot with human old history, is a lot of resemblance with Roman empire and stuff...
As also playing with his deep knowledge of science, and... going beyond the limits as he wished ;)

Yes it is. The investigation at Trantor (that planet, somehow, remember me Corruscant ;) , you know?) was a really long suffering for me.

snaga said:
Cool to find another fantasy genre bunch of fans ;)

Especially as...Before all this sort of bunch of morpgs, and fans about fantasy and medieval worlds, tehre was already on inet (but my liking of it comes from when there was no inet anywhere)

Mine too :D. I am 30 years old. And I started with DSA when I was 11, about 1987. And I had no personal computer at that time. Just pen, pencil, eraser and paper.

snaga said:
remember historic fights about if Balrogs had wings... And great oil/acrilycs illustrators about Tolkien world.(nasmith, etc)

:)

snaga said:
So, is cool that ppl learns also the thing wasnt invented by blizzard or something ;)

Eh, eh, eh. Someone still does not know that.

snaga said:
I made some concept art for some sort of this game that went comercial, but not in the way I wanted, not in the time needed, etc. Not proud of it..

Really? I want to see them :) .
dougnukem said:

Blind Guardian is freakin' awesome!!

I'm going to see them in concert this friday(12/1) in Worcester, MA!!

Cool!  How was the concert?

It was absolutely FANTASTIC!! Their encore was "Mirror, mirror" and it rocked!

The show didn't start until 9pm, so it lasted until about midnight, and then me and some friends waited for blind guardian outside the show for them to come off their tour bus and say hello to some of there fans (I mean come on it was 1 am, it was freezing cold, we were soaked from the rain early in the night), but alas they didn't come out of their bus…

It was a great show though, and some of my friends did the double-header and drive 7 hours to Pennsylvania to watch them again on Saturday night (they're nuts for blind guardian).

Man it sounds totally awesome, wish I could have been there!  :smiley:

7 hour drive! They must be nuts for sure  :stuck_out_tongue: