Swing support

I'm a long time swing developer starting to jump into game development.  I've been watching recent developments with the JDK 6.0 mustang release to increase the support for opengl redering pipelines.  Here's a blog with a great look at what I'm talking about (http://weblogs.java.net/blog/campbell/archive/2005/09/java2djogl_inte_1.html).  notice the gears demo that has opengl rendering in the background with swing components overlayed.  Swing seems like a great way to implement menus and HUD displays.

My question is if there might be any way to leverage the support of swing widgets within jmonkeyengine.  I think the jme API is pretty complete in many areas, but the widget support is lacking.  Please forgive me if this is a stupid question, but i'm a newbie to jmonkeyengine.

Our swing support stems from lwjgl's Canvas support.  lwjgl took a page from jogl there (if i understand correctly) so I don't see any reason why you shouldn't expect the same optimization in lwjgl down the road.  I'd suggest posting on their forums about this topic.  Getting a nod from them would mean jme supports it too.  (And later down the road when we run jogl as well, you'll see it there too.  :))