Switching to JME3 - good idea?

Hi

I am working on a game since over a year now and it's gotten quite far. So I continualy read about jme3 and wonder whether I should switch to it. The thing is, I highly depend on libraries such as FengGUi (there is no way I could replace this with another GUI-System, it is just too much) and JGN (would be possible to replace, but still quite a pain).

Since I didn't find anything about FengGUI and JME3 here, I'd like to know if it is or will be supported by jme3. The same goes for JGN.

There are some other things:

• Is there be an application-class like StandardGame, e.g. with the same feature set?
  • I highly depend on GameStates - do they return in jme3?
  • What about the input-system and the classes InputHandler, GameControl, RotationController, Action(Repeat)Controller and so on? Do they have equivalent implementations or is there a completely new system?

I hope you can clearify :slight_smile:

No Fenggui, Input system is cleaned up, so it's not identical but far better to work with. JGn should make no problems , however the jgn-jme binding will(if you did not binded it yourself).

Ok, is there no way you could integrate FengGUI with jme3? All one had to do with jme2 was that FengGUIInputHandler class. Could you recreate this somehow? Rendering this should be not the problem, right?

What exactly is that jgn-jme-binding your are talking about? Do you mean this GraphicSyncronizationManager thing? This should be easy to reimplement I guess. Or did you mean something else?

Thanks for your answers!

With the binding I mean the synchronization code, yes.

Fenggui might work with a bit of own initiative with jme3.

However jme3 brings nifty gui wich si far superior, and does not have the rendering artifacts fenggui sometimes cause.

So you got another GUI in jme3, but this does not help me at all since I have more than 30 classes in my GUI, so there is just no way that I would replace this. What do you mean with "Fenggui might work with a bit of own initiative with jme3."? Do you want to say that FengGUi might work if the developers of jme3 put some effort into this, or the FengGUI developers?

As I mentioned reimplementing the synchronization stuff with jgn is no big deal, I allready modified this to my needs so I got a good understanding of this.

Again thanks for your response!

Do you want to say that FengGUi might work if the developers of jme3 put some effort into this, or the FengGUI developers?

I think he means the one who needs it have to implement it on his own (so this would be you) :D

Acutally I ask myself why you want to switch as you pointed out you are quite far with your project. What difference would you expect? Why not just finish your project in jME2 instead of loosing time in converting to jME3?

Once you will start a new project you might think about what jME-Version to use...

If you got no concise idea about what feature in jme3 you need that jme2 doesnt give you then stick to jme2 for this project.

I am also programming my project for about 8 months now, and I decided not to switch to JME3. Ok, I am not yet at a stage, where I play with shaders, so I don't know if I will have some problems with that, but hopefully JME2 will suffice. :slight_smile:

InShadow said:

Ok, I am not yet at a stage, where I play with shaders, so I don't know if I will have some problems with that, but hopefully JME2 will suffice. :)

That's indeed the only point why I'd switch to jme3. I tried specular mapping, but it had bad artifacts and decreased performance significantly. The same goes for shadowmapping (using ShadowedRenderPass).
These would be the only things where a switch to jme3 would be useful. But I really think now that switching is to time consuming, so I guess I have to stick with jme2 and just don't use shadows or specular mapping.
Thanks for your input!