Tags in binary file

Cep21 I noticed that you save the name of each tag in your binary file. I think that you could lessen the size of the file by using integers.

The jME binary format is ment to be a 1 to 1 for XML code. So I used strings to make it as generic as posible. The only diffrence in fact from jME binary and XML is that the jME binary doesn’t store floats as “123.4432” it stores them as their binary equivalent. But other than that, it is basicly XML. Making the tag names shorter would decrease the file size, but would it make any large diffrence at the sacrafice of human readability? I’ll look into the more commonly used tags.

My two cents is that a binary format isn’t meant to be human readable. shrug

:slight_smile:

I don’t think the size diffrence will be too great. The human readability comes into how easy it is to convert binary <–> XML and how it easily supports XML additions. The code is extreamly short for what it does.

I’ll put something up on the CVS and try it out. Sounds like a reasonable change.

"Cep21" wrote:
I'll look into it, but I don't think the size diffrence will be too great. The human readability comes into how easy it is to convert binary <--> XML and how it easily supports XML additions. The code is extreamly short for what it does.

nod, understood, the size difference will probably depend heavily on how your scene is put together.. (lots of small objects, a few large ones, etc.)