Tell us of your jME projects - real and imaginary

I would say that, since you actually finished it, that outshines every other project  :smiley:

"finished" is a too strong word… it has a start and an end and some stuff in the middle… But since it drew a compliment on your 1000th post, Congratulations by the way, I'll take it XD

Since I forgot to mention, this is my PAST project. Dirty Racers was my first complete (and only untill now) game made with JME. It's a race game with nice physics and guns. It's source and binary versions are available for download. Check more info here:

http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/jmeforum/index.php?topic=5850.0

My project was kinda vague…

I wanted to blend my favorite rpg/mmo experiences to make the best game ever… A combination of roguelikes and oblivion… Online!

Ah, dreams!  :P

I keep getting distracted with little things like grass, clouds, physics and lack of resources / time.

I made a little application a few months ago that could load WoW's models and animate them. The project taught me a lot about 3d programming, and jME made it very easy to learn. Ideally, I'd like to continue the work further and add the ability to control the characters with the mouse and keyboard as well as walk around the world. In other words, recreate WoW in Java :slight_smile: Of course, I wouldn't be able to do much with it in the end since it would illegal to release, but it would teach me a lot about the amount of work that goes into creating an MMO which is mainly what I want even if I never create one myself.

My project is a MMORPG. I am following the same dream of jiminy: to make the best game ever (from the point of view of gameplay), in its category.

The project is still in planning state. I wrote pages of notes on the game mechanism and made a lot of tests with jME. The most important point is that it should offer the possibility to choose between a wide range of carriers. One could decide do become an Architect, for example. Then his gameplay would become more oriented to management, economical and creativity. Though he should pay other characters for protection and for other commercial products.

None, in my game, should be self sufficient. This to resolve the most evident problem of MMORPGs like WoW, where someone can basically survive and play alone, and the only common interest is to run into dungeons to collect more powerfull items. Guilds are totally oriented to manage dungeon runs. While I would like to see Guilds that manage other aspects, like commerce, for example.

MD5 Reader 2 Refactor, will actually become part of this game.

About the release and license I will decide according to what will happen. If I will find a way to sustain it economically it will become a monthly fee based game, probably with a limited free version. Else, if I will fail to find a producer, I will release it as Open Source.

i'm trying to do a hexen/heretic remake, now including a generated diablo like dungeon of infinite size, lots of weapons, enemies, spells, quests and so on :slight_smile:

and it looks like i and my team might even succeed on this one.

I have joined the X-Shift team, see http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/jmeforum/index.php?topic=6964.0

Right now i'm making a world editor, so the designers can construct a huge futuristic city.

I’m writing an unlimited hydroplane boat racing game for our online racing league.

http://uhl.exploding-banana.com/

Here’s the real thing: http://www.hydroinsider.com

Currently we’re using rFactor (a car racing sim) with a mod that hacks the car physics to make it seem like a boat.  There’s some limitations with the rFactor engine that are dealbreakers for me, plus I want actual water physics not hacked cars, like propeller driven propulsion and not “wheels.”  I came to the conclusion that creating it from scratch using JME was the way to go.  The nice thing is that I get to re-use all of the models already built for the mod.

I’m not very far along (time constraints) but enough to buzz a boat around and track its progress on the course.  I’ve learned a lot about model importing, scene graphs and keyboard controls so far, along with lighting and cameras.  Perick’s data driven architecture looks like something I’m interested in since I’m heading for a big refactor anyway to properly manage game states.  Right now I’m jamming everything into the OpenGL thread.

I'm new to jME so I'm going to write some small games to get familiar with the engine. I'm now working on a Tetris tm clone and after that I want to write an arcade type shooter.

If I manage to finish those two games I want to build a Starcraft tm like strategy game.

I have been playing with Microsoft's XNA for a while, but I couldn't get used to progamming in C# as I work as a Java programmer. Looking for a game engine written in Java I stumbled upon jME and it looks very promissing. I hope you guys won't mind me ask beginner questions while getting the hang of jME programming…

I would say we won't mind at all… Welcome to the community.

Oh, and personally, I welcome specially well anyone favoring Java over C#  :smiley:

Im trying to make something in between a Risk clone and Europa Universalis II. Im having some start up problems though and i think i need more experience before actually trying to build such a thing. I can dream anyways though .  XD

I started using jME in October of 2007, and I loved it from the start.  My previous experience in gaming and writing computer games goes back to my gradeschool (Apple ][) and post high school days (pc).  My gaming background is mostly RPG.  I took a detour away from gaming for many years, but within those years that I got my present career off the ground I got experience with 3D graphics and VRML 1.0.  What brought me back to games and wanting to explore writing them with current technology was Final Fantasy IX for the psOne that I played all the way through a couple of years ago.  We'll just say that the obsession picked right back up from where I left it all those years ago!

So, for my present jME work: I am currently programming what I affectionately call World Two.  And it is in this three-area gamespace that I am working out the details for 3D RPG gaming elements that include classic and realtime elements in order to further a formal game-making endeavor – which, if I can fulfill my goals and tasks for World Two, should get underway in maybe August or September of this year.  I am working on ideas with a good friend of many years, who is more of a gamer/analyst than a programmer, and we hope to release one of our major ideas/games to the public at some point in the next year or two. 

My personal blog on these development matters can be found here:

http://onebyfourbynine.blogspot.com

Those are some neat projects Methius! I really like the molecule viewer.

I built something similar using VB 5 about 14 years ago when I was working at a national research laboratory.  Yours looks nicer than that old beast.