Terms List

I added a terms/definitions list to the FAQ (a link to it from the FAQ, actually).

http://www.mojomonkeycoding.com/pmwiki/index.php/FAQ/TermsList

Somebody with a little more 3D and/or jME knowledge should probably have a look at it to make sure I didn’t get something wrong.

I’m sure there are other terms that could be added, but I think it’s a good start.

–K

I’ve changed the md2/md3 description to reflect the fact that they are id Software model formats for Quake II and Quake III (respectively) and not Milkshape formats as previously noted.

edit: I’ve also modified the Swing description, noting that it has been successfully integrated with jME.

edit x2: Also some miscellaneous errors. (A missed capital, etc…)

looks nice !

but jME has nothing to do with ODE is only half the truth:

http://mojomonkeycoding.com/jmeforum/viewtopic.php?t=590&sid=276d18d11751ab7350037e4bf8c0f0a6

Add something of this if u wish :

-3ds files often create seams there where an uv chunk has its limits, specially when using shared UVs (2 uv coords refer to same 3d space vertex)

Also, do not support long (8 characters) material names. ~65k triangles limit also. And other issues. Is not a good format, thoug in several cases, can do.

-OBJ, GREAT format. Allows way higher count models. Allows smoothing groups. As well as autosmooth threshold value. Many material settings and type of maps, like specular, opacity, etc. Settings like emissive, ambient/diffuse material color, etc. Widely standard format.

No seams when exported, usually, no problem like 3ds in this. Is a native format in Maya. In Max you have the exporter/importer here : habware.at/duck4.htm (max4,max5) and habware.at/duck6.htm (max 6)

• md2, md3 I’d add their vertex animation formats. No bones. They have their problems, though md3 is less problematic.

• *.x MS x file has bones, weights, spline interpolation, and a load of settings more, like time scale, mesh scale, vertex colors support, complex materials (like bump, specular, opacity, etc) , 2 uv channels map for lightmaps (all of the above didn’t have this)

-md5 another bones&weights format, not too documented yet, has many features -I yet don’t know- and as an advantage, supports normal maps, and some other lighting features. Also worth a look.

• Lightmap: an special bitmap, that gets overlayed often in multiply mode, in a second UV channel (we’re all used to only 1st one uv channel, but for example, 3ds Max can have loads of uv channels—> multitexturing for terrains, etc, and /or lightmaps) that already had its uv coordinates (in ultimate Unwrap you can generate these, even just copying UV coordinates from channel 1 to channel 2, and export as X file) , so that this bitmap, asigned to the 2nd uv channel, is usually a black, white, and greys bitmap, that overlaying in multiply mode or anyother, does allow to bake shadows over the object/level.

This “shadowmap” or “lightmap” is better generated with a software like Max, but also cheaper ones like Giles, which equals in quality for this, or ther free tools : FsRad (really hard to handle, I couldn’t) , the non ended LmTools, or the not perfect SlimShady.

Blender will probably have not late.

Thanks for the updates, Eric. I really don’t know much of anything about the different modeling formats (which is why I thought they should be on the terms list :slight_smile: ). Thanks for fixing the MDs.

I've also modified the Swing description, noting that it has been successfully integrated with jME.

I hadn't realized that about Swing. I'll have to take a look at the demo (can't until I get home, though). Is it still true that it can't be in the same window? I thought that had something to do with LWJGL holding all the input events?

--K

yes its true, Swing cannot be integrated into jME due to LWJGL. However, nothing is stopping it from being created oustide the window as an aid. See RenParticleEditor for an example.

DP