Terrain Editor Texture Limit?

I played something with the Terran/Scene Editor.

Hi build some Landscape and so on. but then i saw… that the Texture Limit is only 7.

I can’t add more texture ?

Is this Limit normal, or do i something wrong ?

The limit is not 7 textures, it’s 13

Remember that each texture counts: diffuse and normal

This tutorial (under the “Texture Splatting” section explains it: https://wiki.jmonkeyengine.org/legacy/doku.php/jme3:beginner:hello_terrain

Is there a Way to do more Textures ?

It’s a limit of video cards.

You could write your own splatting shader using texture arrays or possibly 3d textures.

@Sploreg said:
The limit is not 7 textures, it's 13

Isn't the specific number dependent on the GPU just as texture size?
@sbook said:
Isn't the specific number dependent on the GPU just as texture size?

Yep, it is usually about 16 textures. You can query the card to see how many are supported, but that is just your card, and not everyone else's that you might be deploying to.
@Sploreg said:
Yep, it is usually about 16 textures. You can query the card to see how many are supported, but that is just your card, and not everyone else's that you might be deploying to.

You can actually use an endless amount of textures afaik but you get a heavy tax for stepping over these hardware limits right?
@normen said:
You can actually use an endless amount of textures afaik but you get a heavy tax for stepping over these hardware limits right?

I'm pretty sure you're still limited by the number of texture units.. According to this you can only bind up to GL_MAX_COMBINED_TEXTURE_IMAGE_UNITS
1 Like

Just that i won’t misunderstood.

I want to create a Map for my RTS-Game in this Terrain Editor. I Think other games have lots of more than 13 Texture per map ?

@xasz said:
Just that i won't misunderstood.

I want to create a Map for my RTS-Game in this Terrain Editor. I Think other games have lots of more than 13 Texture per map ?

Check again, I would say most do not. In a particular level they often focus on a theme (snow, desert, forest, etc) to, in part, account for limited texture availability. Remember that terrain is just the base form of the map, you still need environment objects throughout it that add to the detail. Also you can use projected textures to add specific detail to the map.

And as I stated above, you could write your own shader to use texture arrays. But then you increase the minimum requirement of the gfx card to be opengl 3.0. A tradeoff, but up to you. You could also modify the existing TerrainLighting shader to allow for more textures, but again then you are increasing the minimum requirements of the gfx card.

Ok Thanx, i will try to get up with the Limitation :slight_smile: