Terrain generator

Hello i’m making a game like minecraft and i need to make a random Terrain generator. does anyone know a good tutorial for this?

@zwap1233 said:
Hello i'm making a game like minecraft and i need to make a random Terrain generator. does anyone know a good tutorial for this?

Start with search for custom meshes (actually, I think you'll see it to the right of the screen under quick help). That's the first thing to look over. (search keywords: custom mesh, custom meshes, Mesh, etc)
Then, you'll probably quickly start wondering why your cube looks round on the edges. There are about 60,000 threads on implementing custom meshes that have the answers to this issue and a ton more. (search keywords: normals, vertex count, custom mesh, etc)
After this, you'll want to start looking at building procedural stuff out of boxes & height maps... or a noise function. There are another 60,000 thread on the board that will have all the answers, code samples, etc to help you through this. (search keywords: procedural, terrain, voxel, boxel, etc)
Next, you'll want to start knocking out unneeded faces/vertices from the cubes being used (this is assuming that you are building them as a single mesh or chunked meshes to minimize object count. Again, there are 60,000 threads discussing techniques with code samples to look through. (search keywords: all of the above)
Then on to paging systems. This one probably isn't discussed that much here, however... they are fairly easy to implement on a simple level and we have a couple people here who know the more "complex" ins and outs of implementing a "smarter" paging system who should be able to answer specific questions. (search keywords: paging, chunk, chunk size)

Definitely look at the above and search the forum/documentation as most of what you are looking for has been written by others countless times. I still think building your own is more fun, but as you have more specific questions about what your working on, you'll be able to get more specific answers.

Hope this helps!

EDIT: added keywords for searching the topics above... search topic titles... then documentation.
1 Like
@t0neg0d said:
Start with search for custom meshes (actually, I think you'll see it to the right of the screen under quick help). That's the first thing to look over. (search keywords: custom mesh, custom meshes, Mesh, etc)
Then, you'll probably quickly start wondering why your cube looks round on the edges. There are about 60,000 threads on implementing custom meshes that have the answers to this issue and a ton more. (search keywords: normals, vertex count, custom mesh, etc)
After this, you'll want to start looking at building procedural stuff out of boxes & height maps... or a noise function. There are another 60,000 thread on the board that will have all the answers, code samples, etc to help you through this. (search keywords: procedural, terrain, voxel, boxel, etc)
Next, you'll want to start knocking out unneeded faces/vertices from the cubes being used (this is assuming that you are building them as a single mesh or chunked meshes to minimize object count. Again, there are 60,000 threads discussing techniques with code samples to look through. (search keywords: all of the above)
Then on to paging systems. This one probably isn't discussed that much here, however... they are fairly easy to implement on a simple level and we have a couple people here who know the more "complex" ins and outs of implementing a "smarter" paging system who should be able to answer specific questions. (search keywords: paging, chunk, chunk size)

Definitely look at the above and search the forum/documentation as most of what you are looking for has been written by others countless times. I still think building your own is more fun, but as you have more specific questions about what your working on, you'll be able to get more specific answers.

Hope this helps!

EDIT: added keywords for searching the topics above... search topic titles... then documentation.

i will do that thanks