Terrain Grid Usage

He seemed to be talking about j3o.

1 Like

True.

I took this to mean exactly what it says. Which was true.

Since both of you are using the same code from the this wiki page I updated it. That’s what my post is about.

1 Like

This is an example with a PNG-based.

1 Like

Minimum working example.

package test;

import com.jme3.app.SimpleApplication;
import com.jme3.asset.plugins.FileLocator;
import com.jme3.material.Material;
import com.jme3.math.Vector3f;
import com.jme3.terrain.geomipmap.TerrainGrid;
import com.jme3.terrain.geomipmap.TerrainGridLodControl;
import com.jme3.terrain.geomipmap.TerrainLodControl;
import com.jme3.terrain.geomipmap.grid.AssetTileLoader;
import com.jme3.terrain.geomipmap.lodcalc.DistanceLodCalculator;

public class Main extends SimpleApplication {

private TerrainGrid terrain;

public static void main(final String[] args) {
        Main app = new Main();
        app.start();
    }

@Override
    public void simpleInitApp() {

flyCam.setMoveSpeed(100f);
        getCamera().setLocation(new Vector3f(0, 256, 0));

assetManager.registerLocator("res", FileLocator.class);

AssetTileLoader grid = new AssetTileLoader(assetManager, "testgrid", "MyTerrainGrid");

terrain = new TerrainGrid("terrain", 65, 257, grid);

Material mat_terrain = new Material(assetManager, "Common/MatDefs/Misc/Unshaded.j3md");
        mat_terrain.getAdditionalRenderState().setWireframe(true);
        terrain.setMaterial(mat_terrain);

rootNode.attachChild(terrain);

TerrainLodControl control = new TerrainGridLodControl(terrain, getCamera());
        control.setLodCalculator( new DistanceLodCalculator(65, 2.7f) );
        terrain.addControl(control);

}

}

Create a directory: res / MyTerrainGrid
And place 2 j3o files with names

Testgrid_0_0_0.j3o
Testgrid_0_0_1.j3o

You can add more as needed. Template: Testgrid_x_y_z.j3o

1 Like

I updated the LOD wiki page also. Just broken links and formatting for today.

3 Likes

Nice I’ll have to give terrain world a try as well and see about using that especially if that’s a better alternative to a terrain grid. I just downloaded it but I don’t see any jars to import in the download folders so does that mean i just need to build the project and import the jars to my game then I’m good to go?

@AdiDOS I also just gave that a try and it doesn’t seem to work for me still, I feel like I must just be doing something wrong and have absolutely no clue, it looks like a small active patch is showing up but it’s entirely white and none of the models I placed in the scene composer show up . It looks like I did everything right, placed my scenes in the folder: “Assets/res/MyTerrainGrid/Testgrid_0_0_0.j3o”, and I copied that code exactly. I also noticed that even though some blank terrain is rendering, when I use terrainGrid.getChildren().size() it shows that my terrainGrid has no children.

1 Like

I finished fixing broken links that were linked to the terrain pages.

The wiki is massive and contains hundreds of pages. If you ever run into broken links or pages in need of updating its better to say something on the forum or post it on github.

1 Like

Neither the name of ‘jMonkeyEngine’ nor the names of its contributors

• may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software
  • without specific prior written permission.
1 Like

There is one nuance that is a product and how it relates to software.

1 Like

Your using the jmonkeyengine name in the link, that is promoting. Quit trying to split hairs, you know what your doing is not allowed.

1 Like

I’m promoting the file?

1 Like

Its really time for that url to be added to a spam filter for this forum IMO.

1 Like

Can you refer to anything when talking about spam?

1 Like

If it were up to me you’d be already banned.

1 Like

You, apparently, have confused the concept of domain owner and spammer.

1 Like

(emphasis added)

1 Like

It seems that there is not one clever man who can name the name of my product. Which I kind of promote.:joy:

I would like to clarify the right holder: jmonkeyengine is a trademark or a company name?

1 Like

Why must you persist in this behaviour? The community is continually trying to help you, yet you seem to be continually working against the grain.

To presume you are the smartest man around is self-concluded development. There are many people here far more intelligent than you or I. It would be wise to work with them and not against them. We all have something to offer. This attitude will only serve to your detriment.

I have no intention of banning people or playing stupid games. But I pick and choose who I help, as do others. My advice would be to take that into consideration in future. There are a lot of very intelligent people around here - and you could learn a lot - if only you are willing.

2 Likes

No need to read between the lines, I did not call all stupid. And did not put myself smarter.

They expressed an opinion that can not be justified. It is necessary to understand that I am allegedly abusing the use of the name jmonkeyengine. This is called slander. And I do not think I should listen to this? I understand that for you to throw dirt - the usual thing.

Edit: Pay attention, we are talking about those who are trying to prove that I will get the benefit on behalf of jmonkeyengine. And not about the community.

1 Like

I’ll try to explain situation from another side.
In case, when you will write something on your web page, People will think, that JME official people are talking to them.

let’s have an example:
I have an idea. I’m going to create blog articles. I’m going to set next name to the domain: AdiDOSTricksDoingSomeThing.com.
Will you like that?
Will you help me on that?
Will you give me some information, so i can use it on my web page?
Will you give me an email to put it on my page, so people can drop a feedback about my page there?

Please note, people are showing your mistakes not because they want to ban you, people do hope that you can understand the gap, resolve it and become better.

1 Like