Test Engine Builds

Putting this link here so that people who stumble this way can find it:

Engine Test Build - Mythruna Wiki

Currently it’s just the same build as in the announcements group. I hope to produce a new one every Monday for a while.

Runs great!

I played it with pretty much the highest settings possible in full screen 1920 x 1080 etc.

Got around 50-120 fps all the time.

Controls need improvement for example jumping is awkward as hell. If you run sort of between right (or left) and forward you run much much faster.

Most things look very great also, the bump mapping on sand was pretty cool!

I think you allready know most things that you need to work on and this has been going on for like 3 weeks now?

This is very impressive, a couple more weeks and minecraft has nothing on your engine! :slight_smile:

Guess you want my specs so here you go.

Windows vista ultimate 32bit

Intel core 2 duo e8400 (3.0Ghz)

Ati radeon HD 4850

4 gig ram DDR 2 (the slowest kind, 400mhz i believe?)

Dont know if there is anything else i need to say.

The water looks pretty great too!

It’s funny that you can walk on it.

OHYEAH! i almost forgot. There is a glitch (ofc)

Sometimes when you remove blocks they disappear in a way that you can walk in the area that they used to be in but it looks like it’s still there; you know what i’m saying?

Anyway keep it up!

milkshakepanda said:
Controls need improvement for example jumping is awkward as hell. If you run sort of between right (or left) and forward you run much much faster.

Just curious, which version are you running? A few versions back I fixed a lot with respect to jumping and now (to me) it feels pretty much the same as in other games.

milkshakepanda said:
OHYEAH! i almost forgot. There is a glitch (ofc)
Sometimes when you remove blocks they disappear in a way that you can walk in the area that they used to be in but it looks like it's still there; you know what i'm saying?

In recent builds, the only case I've seen this is when Java runs out of direct memory and so my engine can no longer regenerate geometry. I have to be editing a lot to see it, though.

Thanks for the encouragement.
pspeed said:
Just curious, which version are you running? A few versions back I fixed a lot with respect to jumping and now (to me) it feels pretty much the same as in other games.

I downloaded the one that was on the top of the site..
Version: 20110225

Don't know if it's the latest though!
milkshakepanda said:
I downloaded the one that was on the top of the site..
Version: 20110225

Don't know if it's the latest though!

Well i'm stupid it's obviously the newest version, it's todays date haha

Got about 57 fps steady on an AMD 2.4GHz dual cuare 5200+.

Very nice work, dude! What kind of datastructure are you using for keeping all of those blocks in memory? An octree?

Excellent work! Keep it up!

davorb said:
Got about 57 fps steady on an AMD 2.4GHz dual cuare 5200+.

Very nice work, dude! What kind of datastructure are you using for keeping all of those blocks in memory? An octree?

Excellent work! Keep it up!

I've hinted at it elsewhere in other threads and I don't want to get too far into it in this thread. I started out thinking I would use an octree but didn't. Some of the code is still named that way (OctLeaf for example) but only because I never thought of better names and it always made sense to me. :)