TestRenderToTexture not supported

In jmetest/renderer/TestRenderToTexture I get : "Render to texture not supported!"

Is it just me or is there something broken? I think it worked before but with current CVS I get this error.

The system is:

Linux 2.6.13-15 with latest fglrx_6_8_0_SUSE100-8.24.8-1 and jdk 1.5.0_06-b05.

Graphic card is ATI Technologies Inc M22 [Radeon Mobility M300].

and on another system:

Windows XP Professional SP2

Radeon 9600 AGP

2006-06-15 13:30:35.170 WARNING com.jme.renderer.lwjgl.LWJGLTextureRenderer.initPbuffer LWJGL reports this card supports Render to Texture, but fails to enact it.  Please report this to the LWJGL team.
2006-06-15 13:30:35.170 WARNING com.jme.renderer.lwjgl.LWJGLTextureRenderer.initPbuffer Attempting to fall back to Copy Texture.

works for me…

Windows XP Professional SP2

Radeon 9800 Pro

2006-jun-15 14:17:24 com.jme.renderer.lwjgl.LWJGLTextureRenderer <init>
INFO: Render to Texture Pbuffer supported!

Hmm, could it be a driver issue?  Also, what exception does it print above that?  Should be something about initPbuffer()

with a little more context:

2006-06-15 15:02:20.567 INFO    com.jme.renderer.lwjgl.LWJGLTextureRenderer.<init> Render to Texture Pbuffer supported!
2006-06-15 15:02:20.847 WARNING com.jme.renderer.lwjgl.LWJGLTextureRenderer.initPbuffer LWJGL reports this card supports Render to Texture, but fails to enact it.  Please report this to the LWJGL team.
2006-06-15 15:02:20.847 WARNING com.jme.renderer.lwjgl.LWJGLTextureRenderer.initPbuffer Attempting to fall back to Copy Texture.
2006-06-15 15:02:21.188 INFO    com.jme.renderer.AbstractCamera.<init> Camera created.

Hmm, if you look at the code, such an output should be triggered by an Exception when creating the Pbuffer…  Where's the stack trace?  :?

LoggingSystem.getLogger().throwing(this.getClass().toString(),
                    "initPbuffer()", e);

lost in space…

The throwing() logs with Level.FINER and I set log level to INFO.

Now I add the render to texture a bit earlier (before I had to activate it with a command, now it's done while initializing).

In the log there is only the messge that Render to Texture PBuffer is supported.

And that's what I get:

#
# An unexpected error has been detected by HotSpot Virtual Machine:
#
#  EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x692f81b7, pid=3992, tid=4008
#
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (1.5.0_06-b05 mixed mode)
# Problematic frame:
# C  [atioglxx.dll+0x2f81b7]
#
# An error report file with more information is saved as hs_err_pid3992.log
#
# If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:
#   http://java.sun.com/webapps/bugreport/crash.jsp
#

Works for me too.

System:

FC5 Linux 2.6.16-1.2133_FC5, xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-1.0.8762-3.lvn5 kmod-nvidia-1.0.8762-2.2.6.16_1.2133_FC5

nvidia geforce go 6800

runs fine here, too.

arch linux 0.7.2

kernel 2.6.16.18, nvidia driver 1.0.8762, xorg 7.0, java 1.5.0_06

gf 7800 gt

you better post your code setting up the rendertotexture etc…

I think it's down to drivers again… definalty Radeon 9600 AGP should support it with the latest drivers… is it a laptop or something? (there's a 9600 laptop version)

Dunno how well Ati's OpenGL support for their integrated chips are on linux… but are you sure the propriety Ati driver is correctly installed?

I think I have to make it more clear :wink:

A) The Notebook reports render to texture is not supported and it's a IBM R52 with "ATI Technologies Inc M22 [Radeon Mobility M300]".

B) The other PC is a desktop with the ATI 9600XT and reports it's supported but I get the HotSpot exception I posted.

C) On a third system there is a Radeon 9100 and it works well there.

Given these results I think I won't use render to texture as I will have lots of problems with users.

Remember that RTT's fallback with copy texture is a valid way of generating rendered textures.  So even if it says it is not supported and falls back, all is not lost.

However, that said, I can understand why you wouldn't want to run with RTT but on the flip side, given you have those issues you could also look at using the multiple test environments you have as a way to help us test and fix those issues…

Err, the failback is only there if

caps = Pbuffer.getCapabilities();

if (((caps & Pbuffer.PBUFFER_SUPPORTED) != 0)) {
            isSupported = true;

on A) I see a random texture (font or whatever was used last).

and I don't really know how to debug the hotspot exception on B). The display is fine.

Actually what I'm talking about is the Pbuffer.RENDER_TEXTURE_SUPPORTED flag.  Most cards out there at least support Pbuffer, I find it hard to belive an M300 wouldn't unless there are driver issues.

As for the hotspot issue, are you getting that when you exit?  I've seen that before.

I have ATI radeon 9800 pro and Im using Ubuntu "dapper" and I get message: SEVERE: Render to texture not supported!

when running TestRenderToTexture.  I thought pbuffer was unsupported with ATI drivers in Linux because when I boot into windows on same machine RTT works fine.

i will never understand why linux users buy ati cards, there driver support is as crappy as ever. almost unbelivable crappy compared to the excellent windows driver… :frowning:

pfft,

i will never understand why linux users buy ati cards, there driver support is as crappy as ever. almost unbelivable crappy compared to the excellent windows driver.

I will admit ATI drivers used to suck big time, but lately there have been significant improvements. I play lots of enemy territory and I actually get higher framerates in Linux.

with my JME project I get ~56fps in Windows 2000 and ~67fps in Linux, on same machine with latest omega and fglrx drivers on a 9800pro.

Also my current ATI card was given to me.

mud2005 said:

pfft,
i will never understand why linux users buy ati cards, there driver support is as crappy as ever. almost unbelivable crappy compared to the excellent windows driver.

I will admit ATI drivers used to suck big time, but lately there have been significant improvements. I play lots of enemy territory and I actually get higher framerates in Linux.
with my JME project I get ~56fps in Windows 2000 and ~67fps in Linux, on same machine with latest omega and fglrx drivers on a 9800pro.

sorry if i was to harsh. maybe older cards (9800pro is still fine for most games though!) are better supported by now, but ati's support for linux is still quite poor. it took them more than half a year to add support for the x1xxx radeons... btw enemy territory is great!

mud2005 said:

Also my current ATI card was given to me.

i would have taken it, too, hadn't i bought a new pc a short time ago. :)

It's definatly word a try to install the latest propriety drivers for linux if you have an Ati card (I heard the install is easier too now).