TestSoundGraph - org.lwjgl.fmod3.FMODException: Unable to load fmod library

I've just followed the instructions to do an Ant build of jME, and get the demos working.

Everything was going fine (the demos are awesome), until I reached the TestSoundGraph.

I had to correct the classpath slightly from the one in the instructions, because I was missing the following class:

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/lwjgl/fmod3/FMODException

So I added the class ./lib/lwjgl_fmod3.jar to the classpath

Now it gets a bit further, but still crashes, with the following:

06-Jun-2007 01:07:38 com.jmex.sound.fmod.SoundSystem <clinit>

INFO: CREATE FMOD

org.lwjgl.fmod3.FMODException: Unable to load fmod library

at org.lwjgl.fmod3.FMOD.create(FMOD.java:292)

at com.jmex.sound.fmod.SoundSystem.<clinit>(Unknown Source)

at jmetest.sound.fsound.TestSoundGraph.simpleInitGame(Unknown Source)

at com.jme.app.BaseSimpleGame.initGame(Unknown Source)

at com.jme.app.BaseGame.start(Unknown Source)

at jmetest.sound.fsound.TestSoundGraph.main(Unknown Source)

#

An unexpected error has been detected by Java Runtime Environment:

#

#  EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x0528343a, pid=752, tid=3684

#

Java VM: Java HotSpot™ Client VM (1.6.0-b105 mixed mode, sharing)

Problematic frame:

C  [lwjgl-fmod3.dll+0x343a]

#

An error report file with more information is saved as hs_err_pid752.log

#

If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:

http://java.sun.com/webapps/bugreport/crash.jsp

#

Anyone seen anything like this before?  Is there another jar instead of this one?

As I say, it's the latest build from CVS - and this is all completely clean, the first time I've ever installed jME, so I won't have any rogue jars floating about.

Cheers!

The Fmod binary is not free, so we do not redistribute them.  You can download at fmod.org

Note that we have a new sound system (the jmex.audio package). Only an OpenAL implementation for now though.

I'm confused - the Ant build came with Fmod dlls?  Is there more to Fmod than this?

Is there anywhere on the jME site I can get a definitive listing of all the necessary parts?

I'm surprised the getting started page didn't mention this…

With Fmod, which bits do I need to install?  Do I just put the DLL into the Lib directory?

Also, do I need Fmod or Fmodex?

Cheers!

Hi,

OK - I sussed it … I needed to get FMOD3 (not FMODex) from the fmod.org website, and put the fmod.dll on my library path.

Is Fmodex currently supported at all?

Shouldn't all this be covered in the install instructions?  A less persistent developer may have been put off by the fact that all the demos didn't work straightaway.

lwjgl-fmod3.dll is just a helper dll. Don't see any other fmod related dlls. You need fmod version 3. http://www.fmod.org/ifmoddownload.html

Also, fmod DLL (or so or anything) comes with LWJGL and not with jME. Unfortunately, FMOD is only distributed as a binary (as mentioned before), and they don't distribute AMD64 libraries for FMOD3… this kills AMD64 costumers who use a 64-bit JVM.