Texture misbehaves when using HardwareSkinning

Hey guys, got a problem with hardwareskinning :frowning: .

Without hardwareskinning the model looks fine:

but using hardwareskinning the model looks like this:

And this is all over the model, not just the face. The model was made in blender and the issue cannot reproduced with the Jaime model from jme, so iā€™d guess the problem is somewhere between Blender and jme SDK.

Any suggestions?

mhh, weird.
I guess the texture coordinates have something special that the HW skinning pipeline doesnā€™t handle properlyā€¦
Did you use the blender loader, or did you use orge pipeline?

For further investigation we would need the model itselfā€¦

Iā€™ve just imported the blend file into the jme SDK and then loaded the generated j3o file via the HW Skinning demo. Can i send you the file via private message?

ok, could you try to import it with the ogre pipeline and see if you still have the issue?

1 Like

Success! :slight_smile:

The texture was y flipped so i had to load it via:
mat.setTexture(ā€œColorMapā€, assetManager.loadTexture(new TextureKey("ā€¦", false)));

Thanks nehon! If you wanna play around with it iā€™ve sent you the private message. Just donā€™t share it :smiley:

Little addition: we think the blend to j3o pipeline generates too much vertices.

Compare the following pics:

j3o 1000 models: http://prntscr.com/4d27n7
ogre 1000 models: http://prntscr.com/4d2779

Triangles stay the same, vertices are higher for j3o.

~Regards

@Kaelthas recently talked about a new triangulation algorithm in the work for the blender loader. It may have some impact on this. Now for the texture issue, I guess there are some things that goes wrong in the blender loader (maybe just some HW skinning buffers that are not initialized properly idk). I guess the Uvā€™s are correct or youā€™d have the same issue in software mode.
Btw for the flipping issue, you can make a j3m material and just check the flip checkbox if you donā€™t want to do it in code. (or add the keyword flip in the j3m text file : ColorMap path/to/the/texture flip)

@h1ghst0r3y
could you upload or send me the model as well ?
I will test it against new triangulation algorithm and see how it works.

I will check out how the new algorithm will affect the verts amount and the HW skinning.

1 Like

@Kaelthas sent you the filelink in a private message as well.

@h1ghst0r3y
I have commited the triangulation modifier so please check your model with the new feature.

Unfortunately I couldnā€™t see any texture on the model even thoug I saw that it was loaded. And it was alike woth both new and old version of the code.

If it doesnā€™t work as expected - please let me know.

1 Like

@Kaelthas As iā€™m being unable to build the SDK via Ant ā€¦ when is the fix going into the download version of the SDK?

@h1ghst0r3y
I have no idea I think you need to ask SDK developers about it.

But you could switch the SDK to nightly builds. Then you will have the latest nightly builds of all plugins - including blender plugin.