The Ark - Finished

I am currently developing a simple game. This will be a clone of a space shooters game, however, it will incorporate three different types of gameplay - the classic shooting; dodging oncoming obstacles; and shooting at the ground to land (kind of like space-invaders, but the player is the invader).

More details in the following weeks. I will soon be updating something - probably the space ship model.

Regarding progress, I have most of the engine ready. I programmed the most important engines separately, and now I just need to put them together. Due to exams, I won’t be working much on this until late February.

One particular obstacle I found is that Character Control does not accept Compound Collision Shapes, and as the space ship will be quite complicated, I will have to separate the ship’s most different parts. This will also mean that I will have to create an algorithm that keeps the ship’s parts together.

2 Likes

Wish you good luck :)!

One particular obstacle I found is that Character Control does not accept Compound Collision Shapes

Well, you can use capsule collision shape, but if you wish dynamic shape, use the hull shape.

I will have to separate the ship’s most different parts.This will also mean that I will have to create an algorithm that keeps the ship’s parts together.

Well, in blender, you can model the ship parts separately, and then you move all the parts to a parent via Object---->Parent---->Set. Then you'll have a perfect node tree, representing your ship, if you understand.

Also, why use the character class at all? For a spaceship it doesn’t make much sense.

Gravity isn’t in Rigid Body Control. @glaucomardano, How do I use that?

How do I use that?

what?

EDIT: Ah. Gravity? Yes, it does, it is in rigid body control.

How can I attach an object to another?

In jme?

node.attachChild(mySpatialInstance);

So I create a node just for the object? I see… Thanks

Well, what kinda “object” are you talking about?

For the whole spaceship. Do I create a single node for all the parts of the spaceship?

You model the parts of your spaceship separately in blender. Every part is a Node with a mesh in blender, then you have several nodes. After that, you create a node, and make this node a parent of all the other nodes (the parts) like I said before. You can create a node by adding a empty mesh (if works) or any other mesh without vertices. Then this node will be your spaceship.

I got it :slight_smile: Thanks. That will eliminate the rotation engine :slight_smile:

New demo out! For more details and download link, go to http://nyphoon.tk/ - my personal website.

New game definition:

The year is 2200. While a new century usually brings joy, this one brings only tidings of misfortune. Man has used almost all of Earth's natural resources, and it won't be long until humankind is wiped off Earth's surface.
Mankind's last hope lies in The Arc. Only it can provide a second chance to man - a second chance in outer space.

Critique is appreciated - even if the game is still early in development.

Seems to work fine here (Ubuntu 11.10; Java 1.6).

I saw a blue box in the middle of the screen and when I clicked with the mouse small red cubes shot out from the middle of the screen towards/beyond the blue box. After a while the red boxes ran out. :slight_smile:

I hope that was the correct behaviour.

Yep! Worked well then :slight_smile: Thanks for testing it out and telling me!

Somehow the file got deleted today :frowning: If anyone tried downloading today, it was unavailable. I re-upload it though. A new version will be out tomorrow or on Friday. More information on nyphoon.tk .

I have finally managed to put everything in order for this game. I will use Ghost Control for collisions and will go with simple models. I will focus a lot on Environments. More info soon :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi, the game does not work on OSX because it fails to create the device in fullscreen mode. I once had the same problem when setting the parameters by hand. Try the following:

[java]

if (settings.isFullscreen() && System.getProperty("os.name").equals("Mac OS X")) {

settings.setFrequency(0);

}

[/java]

I forgot :confused: As much as I want to, I don’t think I will be making an OSX version of the game. There is no way I could thoroughly test it, and I doubt if I will even make a Linux version. I don’t want to ruin the game by porting it to different Operating Systems and then ending up working at 100% just on Windows. Thanks for the feedback and code. I will see what I can do and decide later on.

@memonick said:
I forgot :/ As much as I want to, I don't think I will be making an OSX version of the game. There is no way I could thoroughly test it, and I doubt if I will even make a Linux version. I don't want to ruin the game by porting it to different Operating Systems and then ending up working at 100% just on Windows. Thanks for the feedback and code. I will see what I can do and decide later on.

Really, just have one guy test it once on mac and it will run like a boss on all windows systems. "100% on windows" is an illusion ;)

I don’t have a Mac and can’t pay anyone to test it for me :confused: Are there usually a lot of issues [mac and linux]?

PS: By 100% I don’t mean bugs etc… I don’t expect it to run perfectly - but as I am programming on Windows, I don’t want to risk any errors when running on other platforms.