The art connection

@husky: it is very nice that you can make mechanical items. That is a complementary skill! It’s great that people are now starting to share their knowledge/interest about art assets :).

@mifth
In my recent experience, 1024x1024 is hedonistically excessive for just about any model. For 4 models, that should be enough for your whole texture atlas.

If you check out the cabin at the end of the first page of this post, I used two 512x512 textures for the roof and logs. That is a bit misleading however, because both the roof and logs took up only half of the texture. After I add the other parts to it, everything should fit comfortably onto one 512x512 texture.

Unfortunately I’m not about to commit to helping anyone else any time soon. I’m already doing stuff for three different groups. After I finish those I’d love to start a new project with someone skilled in the ways of Java :smiley:

@joshmnky said: @mifth In my recent experience, 1024x1024 is hedonistically excessive for just about any model. For 4 models, that should be enough for your whole texture atlas.

If you check out the cabin at the end of the first page of this post, I used two 512x512 textures for the roof and logs. That is a bit misleading however, because both the roof and logs took up only half of the texture. After I add the other parts to it, everything should fit comfortably onto one 512x512 texture.

Unfortunately I’m not about to commit to helping anyone else any time soon. I’m already doing stuff for three different groups. After I finish those I’d love to start a new project with someone skilled in the ways of Java :smiley:

1024x1024 for models of my project is good enough.
Like this model is 1024x1024 or even 2048x2048: Murph: Pandaria-- Rogue challenge armor

@mifth
Cool. I don’t really know the limits of modern computers, so I just stay as far below them as possible.

@husky
Hey, I’m an Mechanical Engineering student :smiley:

@matomma
This is a great idea. It seems like there should be something like this already, but I haven’t heard of it. I’ve actually have done some volunteer modeling work for a couple guys making a fan game called Tuttle’s Legendary Travels. I was much more novice at the time, but I was able to turn out a fully rigged, albeit untextured model in a day. If they ever answer their email again, they just might get some more models. I would say you should have for-profit games up for work too, but that sounds like you would need to get some legal issues worked out.

@johsmnky
Cool! It is a good education with lots of possibilities and opportunities in the future. For me, it is already some years ago since I graduated XD , but I have never regret the choice.

@mifth: the first designs for “rise of the mutants” are in (for a mutant character) :slight_smile: Design 1 is inspired by the current mutant model (with horns). Designs 2 and 3 are inspired by your own designs. Let me know what you think. The idea is that you next select a design to explore further, or you can suggest new ideas to try. A possibility is also that you give me links to additional reference material that you like (e.g. characters from movies or games). We can do just as many iterations as we like (before actually making a model in blender).

@erlend_sh: is this the right forum to discuss creative character design? If not, which one would be best? :mrgreen:

1 Like
@matomma said: (...) @erlend_sh: is this the right forum to discuss creative character design? If not, which one would be best? :mrgreen:
I created a new Workshop board to get you started. I've also invested in a jobs board plugin that we'll be introducing shortly to better facilitate team-building and asset requests.

We could still really use a hand in the PHP department to make certain parts of our website more user-friendly, so if you know some yourself or know someone who could help, do let us know.

2 Likes

@matomma Wooaa!! I love sketches! They are all cool.

The third one is really cool! I would take him.
I thinks the sketch is good enough and you can make it in blender :slight_smile: .

Nice job man!

Btw, did you play the game?

1 Like

I agree for what it’s worth. The first one feels more chaos knight or similar, whereas the third one seems more mutantish.

1 Like
@matomma said: @mifth: the first designs for "rise of the mutants" are in (for a mutant character) :) Design 1 is inspired by the current mutant model (with horns). Designs 2 and 3 are inspired by your own designs. Let me know what you think. The idea is that you next select a design to explore further, or you can suggest new ideas to try. A possibility is also that you give me links to additional reference material that you like (e.g. characters from movies or games). We can do just as many iterations as we like (before actually making a model in blender).
Very nice I like your style.
1 Like

Thanks everyone for commenting, and helping in selecting the most favourable design.

@mifth: ok, I will do a smaller study on design 3, so that I better understand the shapes/components of this character. Then the modelling can begin :). Also, I have played the game. It looks nice. However, I was slightly struggling with the controls – perhaps these can be made configurable at some later stage?

@erlend_sh: thank you for making the new forum! The new plugin also sounds very interesting :slight_smile: Unfortunately I don’t know PHP …

@nehon: thanks! You are also one of the asset makers if I am correct!

Hi @mifth! Hi everyone! I have done a deeper study on the selected design from the first phase.

I have designed in more detail the anatomy and the armor. Next, I will start modelling this design in blender. I can start with making the anatomy, and then construct the armor as a separate object on top of the anatomy. I can of course still change the design while I am modelling. So, just let me know if you have any comments or feedback.

3 Likes
@matomma said: Hi @mifth! Hi everyone! I have done a deeper study on the selected design from the first phase.

I have designed in more detail the anatomy and the armor. Next, I will start modelling this design in blender. I can start with making the anatomy, and then construct the armor as a separate object on top of the anatomy. I can of course still change the design while I am modelling. So, just let me know if you have any comments or feedback.

Hello man! I love your design. looks cool! Pretty solid things. My comments are: Awesome!!! Btw, where do you live, and what IM do you use(gtalk, skype)?

Hi @mifth. I have been working on a first version of the mutant in blender. Next, I plan to add details such as the eyes, nose, mouth, etc. However, I have discovered this might be easier to do with a retopo-workflow, i.e., I first sculpt the model in more detail (adding facial features) and then I rebuild the low-poly approximation immediately with the right amount of detail. I will investigate this next.

Hello @matomma ! It looks nice. Base model is pretty fine. Just don’t forget to fix some proportions based on your sketches:
Hands - bigger like on your cool sketches.
Head - is a bit lower.
Little tweaks of torso…

When you will sculpt - just my suggestion… Body and armour should be different parts… just my experience…
Good luck man! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi @mifth. Thanks for these suggestions! I can indeed tweak the anatomy more towards the sketch, and I will make the armor separate from the body.

Hi @mifth! I have been sculpting today (see images below). I have enhanced the jaw a bit compared to the sketch. Next, I will try to retopo this sculpt. After this, I will start with the armor using the same process. Note, the feet will be covered by the armor, so I will not create the toes.

2 Likes

Looks really nice. Great work both @mifth and @matomma !

@matomma said: Hi @mifth! I have been sculpting today (see images below). I have enhanced the jaw a bit compared to the sketch. Next, I will try to retopo this sculpt. After this, I will start with the armor using the same process. Note, the feet will be covered by the armor, so I will not create the toes.

Wow!!! I love it!! Looks very cool!!! You are good in anatomy! And in sculpting too!

@normen we will upgrade my old demo a bit. :slight_smile:

Wow, that’s really impressive. Good job !

just 2 small remarks

• maybe it miss a few blisters on the upper back as in the picture
  • and be careful with details (the number of triangles for a game asset must be lower as possible)

…however you’re really gifted !!!