The Fragment – RPG Project

Hey, everybody.

I’ve been around these forums for about a week, so I decided to share with all of you my project.

First of all, my name is Eddie and I’m from Portugal. I’m finishing my master in Software Engineering and I love Java, that’s why I decided to pick up JMonkey. I’ve been struggling with it for a couple of weeks and here’s what I have so far:

This game is called The Fragment and it’s a traditional RPG. It’s being created with jme3.

I won’t get to the story at this point, just goind to show you what I’ve been doing:

Title Screen with Nifty-gui:

Game/Map Screen (all maps and characters were created by me):

Message System:

Also implemented is a database system, so nothing really is hardcoded. This will allow for a database editor to ease the creation of everything. Animation and collision are also done.

Currently I’m working on the Main Menu and Party System.

1 Like

Hey this looks very cool. Although I’m not really a JRPG fan I really like the graphical style of your game :slight_smile: It would improve a lot visually if you enable shadowing in your scene. Looking forward for some further pics!

Looks great! Are you using jME2 or jME3 for this?

Dodikles said:
Hey this looks very cool. Although I'm not really a JRPG fan I really like the graphical style of your game :) It would improve a lot visually if you enable shadowing in your scene. Looking forward for some further pics!

Thank you :) I'm still getting used to everything, but I'll take a look at shadowing ;P

normen said:
Looks great! Are you using jME2 or jME3 for this?

I'm using jME3 :)

Amazing :o

Good job!

It looks really good

A guy named @Momoko_Fan enjoys toonish graphics, go figure… :stuck_out_tongue:

Honestly looking good though. Any chance you’ll be releasing it under an open license?

erlend_sh said:
A guy named @Momoko_Fan enjoys toonish graphics, go figure... :P

LOL I chose this style cuz I'm not that great of an artist. So that has to do it XD

erlend_sh said:
Honestly looking good though. Any chance you'll be releasing it under an open license?

Thank you. Well, there's a pretty good chance ;P
I'm not expecting to make money out of it. Just doing it out of uncondicional love for videogames and RPGs.
So I'll probably release it under an open license. :)

UPDATE:

So, I did a new Title Screen with nifty-gui.

I also implemented the party system, although it still needs some tweaks.

I’ve been working more on the main menu. I’m not using nifty for this, so it’s taking a little bit more time, but it allows me to control it more precisely and do exactly what I have in mind. Here are some screenshots:

Title Screen:

Party:

Main Menu:

1 Like

wow that’s very nice!

Great job!

I wanna play your game!

Way to go man!

Looks really great!

I can’t wait to play it. Do you have an approximate release date? or do you have more of a “when its done” approach.

Maybe you mentioned it but i’m having a tired day so i’m sure i could have missed something.

I did read that you’d release it for free which is nice. I can say that i’d probably buy it if you wasn’t :slight_smile:

Thank you for all your support, it really means much to me. :slight_smile:

For the release date, there’s a lot to be done still. I’m working towards a playable demo till the end of this month. I’m finishing all the game mechanics, just ended the main menu. Last thing to do is the battle and I’ll start building the story.

After releasing the demo, I’ll have an estimate release date, since I’ll know how long it takes to do what I want to do.

I also have in mind putting an official site for the game still this month.

There’s a lot to be done, but I’m fully commited (and my master’s thesis is suffering cuz of it XD)

I will release it for free, but I’d appreaciate donations if you think it’s good. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

For the story, since its the fundamental part, I can say that it’s gonna be a little mature, even though the models are chibi.

The setting is medieval and magic will play a huge part in it, in a world where it does not exist. I have the full cast of characters prepared, they will be 6 in total, and the party will consist in a maximum of 3 characters at a time. Also, there’s not a single character that’s not important, one way or another, to the development of the story. Comic-relief included :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I thank all of you guys again :slight_smile:

Awesome! sounds absolutely great!

I love that you are working hard on the story and that every character is important.

Now on to what i think you should consider graphic wise. I don’t know if you have it planned, again i’m tired and just read things quickly. But you should add shadows to the characters since almost everything else has some kind of shadow. It doesn’t have to be a shadow that is dynamic and shaped after the character or anything. Just a grey area works fine since it’s cell-shaded. Otherwise it sort of looks like the characters are floating in the air.

Otherwise fantastic job there. I’m considering donating if it’s any good :slight_smile:

Thank you for your advise :slight_smile:

Dodikles above had already said that and I agree.

As I said, I’m currently working on the mechanics. As soon as that is done, I’m going to consider graphical updates.

Shadowing is on the top of my list, as I still have a lot of characters to build. Another thing, that map is only for test purposes. It will not feature on the full game, although the style will be similar.

I want to release the demo exactly for the players advise on everything. What should be improved, bug fixes and all that. :slight_smile:

This project has been very quiet for a while now…

How are things going?

I’m still very excited for this game :smiley: