The jME3 SDK Alpha1 will be released tomorrow!

Hi.

Many of you have been waiting for this and I thought I tell the community before tomorrow we do our roundhouse-kick on all kinds of blogs, news sites and whatnot :slight_smile: You might have noticed the activity on all our channels (svn, youtube, forum etc.) during the last two weeks already: jME3 SDK Alpha-1 is officially released on Monday!

On the googlecode download page you can already download jME3 SDK Alpha1 for Win/Linux and for MacOSX including jMonkeyPlatform. You can also download jME3 “standalone” w/o the jMonkeyPlatform/SDK features if you want to go the old school jME development way in your own IDE.

So, I hope all you monkeys help us in getting the word spread. From tomorrow on during the whole next week we will concentrate on that as well. We want to see hit counts go through the roof :wink:

All constructive feedback, feature requests and general input on the release is of course very welcome.

Cheers,

Normen

Remember to check out the contributor’s handbook folks! Not only does it cover development practices, but it also contains just a big bunch of ideas on how you could help promote the project.

I think it would be better if jME3 and jME2 were separated in the wiki with each having an opening page to itself, or at the very least put jME2/3 in the headline of each tutorial etc section. 

Good, clear documentation is important.

"bosun" wrote:
I think it would be better if jME3 and jME2 were separated in the wiki with each having an opening page to itself, or at the very least put jME2/3 in the headline of each tutorial etc section. 

Good, clear documentation is important.
jme2 and jme3 each have their own separate frontpage.. And jme3 specific stuff can be recognized by the url jme3: prefix. The new jme.com frontpage has a direct link to the jme3 docs as well.

The contributor's handbook link goes to a page where we have the jme3 roadmap etc and a bunch of jme2 tutorials. That's a rather awkward arrangement.

The wiki link on top of the wiki pages also link to this page. That just doesn't seem practical to me.

bosun said:

The contributor's handbook link goes to a page where we have the jme3 roadmap etc and a bunch of jme2 tutorials. That's a rather awkward arrangement.
The wiki link on top of the wiki pages also link to this page. That just doesn't seem practical to me.

The wiki link links to the current frontpage of the current stable version (jME2), the link to the contributors handbook also resides there. There is no jME3 roadmap on that page. jME3 has its own frotpage here. I dont see your problem at all.

If you click the links under the contributor's handbook as listed above you should see it. The roadmap links to the jme3 roadmap. There is no need for that on a page for jme2, while a little blurb mentioning that jme2 is not actively supported would actually serve a purpose.

Further if someone chooses the jme3 docs from the frontpage, and then chooses some underlying tutorial and then hits 'Wiki' expecting to be back at some nice central location for jme3 they will actually be looking at the jme2 page and may not realize it immediately. That's just plain impractical, and liable to make a poor first impression. Why leave room for any sort of ambiguity when you don't need to?

bosun said:

If you click the links under the contributor's handbook as listed above you should see it. The roadmap links to the jme3 roadmap. There is no need for that on a page for jme2, while a little blurb mentioning that jme2 is not actively supported would actually serve a purpose.

Further if someone chooses the jme3 docs from the frontpage, and then chooses some underlying tutorial and then hits 'Wiki' expecting to be back at some nice central location for jme3 they will actually be looking at the jme2 page and may not realize it immediately. That's just plain impractical, and liable to make a poor first impression. Why leave room for any sort of ambiguity when you don't need to?

The roadmap link only links to a general roadmap page, of course the roadmap page refers to jme3 as there is no roadmap for jme2 . If we just say there "no dev anymore" people might actually think jme is dead. And I'll say it again, jme2 is the stable version and it belongs on the frontpage for now. There is no ambiguity at all, jme2 is king until jme3 is stable.
normen wrote:
jME3 SDK Alpha-1 is officially released on Monday!
Congratulations!

I get the impression that a fair few people have put a considerable amount of work into getting jME3 into alpha - bravo!
erlend_sh wrote:
how you could help promote the project.
When I started playing with jME (back in 2008) it was after it was mentioned in JavaOne
monkey_scratches_head said:
IMHO it'd be wiser to hold off on any promotional push until at least the website is reskinned (I remember seeing joombla template being mentioned), as frankly the website's appearance does not do the jMonkeyEngine justice - and you only get to make that first impression once  ;)
I'd love nothing more than to have a website that reflects the dedicated hours we've all put into this. Sadly, since todays websites end up holding such a great amount of invaluable user content, a proper 'website overhaul' easily becomes a week of fulltime work. Just look at Drupal or Joomla, the biggest CMSes to date. They've both been planning and developing their re-designs for months now.

If you check out our front page you'll see that something's going on (though I didn't actually want our live front-page to be the active test-site...). We went as far as to scratch together some money to hire a freelancer to give the initial Joomla template a do-over, since it presented certain incompatibilities. It's supposed to end up looking pretty much like the old design, just a tad simpler, cleaner and with the cool slider that we can easily add new promo-material to as its produced.

If you know of anyone who might be willing to invest a fair share of his/her time to help us make a properly integrated and consistent jmonkeyengine.com, let me know :)

Tested, it works like a charm (Ubuntu64 10.4).

Awesome :smiley: Great news.

erlend_sh wrote:
If you check out our front page you'll see that something's going on
Just looked at it, blimely! Looking much more of a modern site  :D
erlend_sh wrote:
cool slider that we can easily add new promo-material to as its produced.
That is a nice idea
erlend_sh wrote:
If you know of anyone who might be willing to invest a fair share of his/her time to help us make a properly integrated and consistent jmonkeyengine.com, let me know
Is there a todo list somewhere for this aim?

I ask as there may be a chance that someone on the forums has / may be willing to develop skills in those areas to achieve those goals ...but if it's not commonly known what needs doing  :?

In short, I'd be willing to help out with the goal of a consistent jmonkeyengine.com, however as I'm about to move countries my available time / internet connectivity will be limited for the next few months

i tested it , thanks developers. really impressive SDK  :smiley:

can we have a visual Palette in next versions?  :stuck_out_tongue:

soheil1366 said:

can we have a visual Palette in next versions?  :P

Sure, just gimme the code and I'll put it in :P
monkey_scratches_head said:
Is there a todo list somewhere for this aim?

I ask as there may be a chance that someone on the forums has / may be willing to develop skills in those areas to achieve those goals ...but if it's not commonly known what needs doing  :?
I'll get to work on that then. Be on the lookout for a new thread soon :)
erlend_sh wrote:
Be on the lookout for a new thread soon
Good stuff, I'll keep my eye's peeled