The new nVidia 680

This is giving me a geekgasm. :smiley:

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/introducing-the-geforce-gtx-680-gpu?sf3580994=1/

So full of win!

I like this excerpt:

The GeForce GTX 680 consumes less power than any flagship GPU since the original GeForce 8800 GTX, yet it outperforms every GPU we or anyone else have ever built.

The G80 GTX was absurd with its power draw and heat output. Does that mean its still more power draw than that?

I was planning on going to a 7970 but I'll have to see how people fare with this beast.

Yeh, just wanted to say… Its not really hard to get down from exorbitant power draw :wink:

I take a look at this in some months if/when its a bit cheaper…hope it really runs cooler and consumes less power…my 295gtx can no longer run for long unless I crack open the case …I have tower fan directly blowing into it and use afterburner to crank up the gpu fan on a curve, the card so easily wilts under the pressure of its own heat these days (the Caribbean climate makes it worse)… but still manages to run like a beast when I cool it this way

@sbook said:
I was planning on going to a 7970 but I'll have to see how people fare with this beast.

Living in the stone age? :P

I can say that my GTX 480 is damn noisy on certain games when the GPU's usage is at 100% and temp gets around 90 degrees. When that fan hits ~3200 RPM it's horrendous. Feels like a jet is about to take off. :|

But, I wouldn't change it.

If I get the 680 I'll switch the 480 to serve as PhysX GPU, replacing the 260 I've got there now.

At $499 it's hard to say if I'll get it or not. I'll wait to see what my tax return will be like. Can't say I'm not tempted though. :D
@madjack said:Living in the stone age? :P

I had an ATI back in that generation.. 1900 (GT, I think). Then went to NV for the G80 and G92 8800's. Then back to ATI for my current 5850 (which is having some trouble driving my new, large monitors).

WANT the 3GB

Mine is a 1.5 GB DDR5. Can’t complain. :stuck_out_tongue:

You would have to pay me BIG BUCKS to go back to ATI.

I won’t pay to get a top graphics card. I just disagree with such idea. I feel bad purchasing something way more expensive that could be really really cheaper if they just wanted to.

@shirkit said:
I won't pay to get a top graphics card. I just disagree with such idea. I feel bad purchasing something way more expensive that could be really really cheaper if they just wanted to.

I also wish they gave those for free but that's not how the market works.
@madjack said:
I also wish they gave those for free but that's not how the market works.

I know that will change in the future. Meanwhile, we pay 2-3 times more for a LED display, something that was developed in the 70's and that's cheaper than the other technologies. =]
@shirkit said:
I know that will change in the future. Meanwhile, we pay 2-3 times more for a LED display, something that was developed in the 70's and that's cheaper than the other technologies. =]

Pocket calculators for school/university anybody? oO
But to some extent.. some components get extinct/rare.. For example for high-quality audio components, the last "new" op-amp designs are from 1992, as people seem to be content with the quality of their iPods, nobody has any interest in doing better quality chips so the hi-end audio gear is expensive because of the low quantities of those components that are produced. Just some thoughts from my side :)

It’s the “demand and supply” rule.

More people buy expensive item X, you’ll see price drops. If not… It’ll stay expensive. It’s always been that way.

It’s also about getting early adopters to pay for R&D cost. It costs a lot to design a graphics card so even though the manufacturing cost stays the same you need to charge a lot at first to get the R&D paid for. As new cards come in you drop the price on the old one as you have already recovered the R&D cost.

Yeah, but that’s for pretty much any technology. Except Crapple stuff. They’re always expensive no matter what. :stuck_out_tongue:

Also:

If item is new start witha high price and drop slowly, so you can get the maximum amount from the people who are willing to buy expensive, before earning the rest.

However for computer Graficcards you usually are better of with a medim grade 150€-200€ and just buy another one in two years

→ Same amount of cash used,

→ After two years you are faster than the old highendmodel

→ You always has a card you can play everyting on max with.

@madjack said:
Yeah, but that's for pretty much any technology. Except Crapple stuff. They're always expensive no matter what. :P

yh crapple sux :) on another note, howd u get 100+ thumbs up in less than 1 day? :o tell me ur secret!! :D
@wezrule said:
yh crapple sux :) on another note, howd u get 100+ thumbs up in less than 1 day? :o tell me ur secret!! :D

I use a second account to hike my thumbs up when I'm bored. ;)

Seriously though, I was brought back to the thumbs up I had before the anti-spam they installed here deleted my account.

technology != hardware

No new graphics card for me, that’s for sure. I have a GTX 560 and I don’t plan to change it in the next 1-2 years.

@EmpirePhoenix said:However for computer Graficcards you usually are better of with a medim grade 150€-200€ and just buy another one in two years
-> Same amount of cash used,
-> After two years you are faster than the old highendmodel
-> You always has a card you can play everyting on max with.

As someone who usually buys in the mid-high end segment, that second year can be tough. i.e: I can't max out Battlefield 3 but was happily rocking everything I played a year ago.