Thru-u.com LockOutTag Simulator Tech Demo

just thought i’d post up some screens of my first commercial project with jme…

it’s for a tech demo for the company i work for…

it’s main aim is to demonstrate an interactive 3d simulator for a mandatory safety procedure in manufacturing plants…

the point being is that by doing the training in 3d it gives the employee a better “feel” for the environment and allows for offline training with regards to the process…

we (me + 2 jme noob devs + 2 artists), managed to get this out the door from scratch in 4 weeks, albeit with a random crash bug on windows 7 :slight_smile:

java + jme = productivity…

:-o :-o :-o :-o there is an odd sense of "realness" in that scene, the top close-in shot especially,the wide ones less so, but still…

Great stuff!!  That's an impressively clean machine shop :stuck_out_tongue:

Sounds like you guys were able to get a great workflow going.  How comfortable would you say the noobs were after [what I assume to be] an intense 4 weeks using the engine?

sbook said:

Great stuff!!  That's an impressively clean machine shop :p

it's also an incredibly shiny workshop (we got way too carried away with the specular maps :))...

Sounds like you guys were able to get a great workflow going.  How comfortable would you say the noobs were after [what I assume to be] an intense 4 weeks using the engine?

they were pretty comfortable...
we had one dev (flex guy) on ui working on a branch of gbui, he's well used to css so bss wasn't a problem....
another dev (php guy) did ai/path finding/routing....
again no serious problems...

artists had a few teething problems mainly with animation formats especially with 3d studio max ogre exporters having a few quirks...
but compared to the format mess of torque, which we had used on a project previously, jme was a dream...

however we did have some oddness with shaders overriding default rendering behaviours of non shader objects....
shadows were also tempermental......
plus there is a significant crash bug in windows 7 which cannot be reproduced in xp...
i have a feeling it's something to do with vbo and texture units but the crash happens at random and is not always reproducible...
lucky me :)

i'd be interested in porting this project to jme3 as i think jme3 would be more suitable as it is far more shader friendly and this project was pretty much all about shaders....
i'd like to see what the challenges/benefits would be...
but i don't know where jme3 is right now with regards to functionality....