[Title Changed --before "physics and bipeds"] More human-like movements

Hello. Yes indeed, i've yet another problem. It's again about the character in my game. Now that it doesn't fall anymore, it's something about the way it's moving. My character (a biped, i.e. a human) moves like if it was a car or similiar (ie. something with wheels). How do I make it so it looks more like an human moving instead of a wheeled machine?

Edit : changed the title because it was confusing. My actual problem is I want the character to move more like a human being instead of something with wheels. It now reacts like something with wheels

The simplest way is to use a nice animation for you char.

I actually meant controlling it was like controlling a car. It actually moves like if it was a car.

if it is first-person style, maybe its enough to sway the Camera a bit from left to right and sligthy up and down while you move?

It's in third person.

So… what should I do?

Do you guys know what a "release scheme" means? It means that i'll had to get this done by two weeks ago.

SeySayux said:

Do you guys know what a "release scheme" means? It means that i'll had to get this done by two weeks ago.

so you try to force other people to respond more quickly :-o, not very appropriate imho

If you are under time pressure you really should not go with bipeds, it's complex and as you can see there are few (or no) people who can help you with it (I have not done stuff with bipeds and know only three people who have done that with ode).

Maybe the title is a little bit confusing, indeed. I just want the character to move more like a human being instead of something with wheels  ;). And I don't try to force you to respond faster. I just wanna let you know that I'm already busy for 2 months, with 3 different engines, to get my character to move like it should. Since my beta testers, graphics artists (they're called SeySayux and SeySayux, by the way) and potential players didn't heard anything from me, they do not longer believe the project is going to be something. I also thought sometimes to quit with it, since i'm trying for months and months, for years and years to be precise (lets say that I started this 3 years ago, and now I still don't have any results). I'm kind of fed up waiting and waiting for someone to respond. Sorry for the rant.

I can only repeat: the magic is in the art! You don't need the actual physics to be "human-like". Adjust forces/acceleration and movement speed to match a walking animation and it look fine. The hard part is to create that stepping/walking/running animations in your 3d modeler (3ds, blender, whatever). Give it a try (maybe with some downloaded animation).

p.s. thanks for contributing to the physics wiki, btw :slight_smile:

Maybe if you try it out yourself, you'll notice too it's the physics. Since like it currently behaves, it really looks like a car. I don't know much about physics (say nothing), so maybe you can suggest what I shoud add/remove/adjust. As soon as you try to move around with the character (which is currently a box, but it really doesn't matter that much, since the in final release it'll be represented to the physics engine as a box too) I'll post the link to my game as soon as I uploaded the jar.

ps. As long as I don't have anything to do (like now) i'll keep posting stuff at the physics wiki.

Here's the link: FILES-UPLOAD.COM

To run under MicroShit Winblows (like axe pee or Viruses, Intruders, Spyware, Trojans and Adware a.k.a. V.I.S.T.A): double click on "Seoyan Realms.bat"

To run under the OS of gods, a.k.a. Linux: chmod a+x seoyanrealms;./seoyanrealms

To run under Mac: create your own script, run your own script, send me your own script :wink:

A bit of confusion here I think :slight_smile:

What you are saying is that currently your box or whatever only turns when it also has forward speed, like a car. Not like a human, who would turn on the spot to face another direction. Am I correct?

That is indeed one of the effects. Other effects include that is has some problems moving on hills (i.e when I move it forward it tends to go on the edge of the hill instead of on top of it), it rotates when it moves on a hill… If you run the game that I posted the link to, you'll see what I mean.

Sorry your app won't run:

1. on linux paths are separated by : not ;
  2. *.jar won't work as a classpath argument (neither win nor lin)
  3. jme.jar is missing (core)
  4. after fixing these (with jme.jar from current cvs) the app window hides after showing a black screen without any comment

Exchanging all the jme and jme physics jar, lets me run the app. It searches for textures here: homefranknetbeanssrclientbuildclassesmodelstextures - which does not exist. Though I can see a little bit.

What are the controls? S and D do something, not sure if it's right.

And please show the physics, so one can see what's going on.

Regarding the 'feeling': I'm not sure where the strange rotation comes from. But besides that it feels OK for a character. Are you rotating it yourself (third person cam or something)?

So it won't work? Are you sure you've got the latest jre? I've compiled on 1.6.0_02. Could you send me the edited files for running it (so I can test it here myself and I won't need to search for those myself)

I already wrote what the problems were:

irrisor said:

Sorry your app won't run:
1. on linux paths are separated by : not ;
2. *.jar won't work as a classpath argument (neither win nor lin)
3. jme.jar is missing (core)

and
irrisor said:

It searches for textures here: homefranknetbeanssrclientbuildclassesmodelstextures - which does not exist. Though I can see a little bit.
What are the controls? S and D do something, not sure if it's right.
And please show the physics, so one can see what's going on.

It's not the jdk.

I can't send you the files because I ran it in my IDE instead, because your files (neither bash nor bat) were not working.

Okay, controls are: arrow keys movement, s & d slide left/right. F10 enable/disable debug (including physics debug). That the texture isn't working is not my fault, it's the fault whoever wrote the jme output writer. It seems to write the entire path instead of the local path.

Well, rotates way to fast, but otherwise seems ok. (except for that unexpected rotating mentioned before)

re the textures: you need to specify the texture location somewhere. I don't have it on top of my head, but search the forum, there are several posts about it.