Tool demo

darkfrog said:

Wow, it really amazes me the attitude some of the users take towards NCsoft's involvement with jME.  There's not a developer here that doesn't primarily drive the features going into jME from the project they are currently working on.  The fact that NCsoft actually is paying for that development and chooses to give any of it back I think is a generous thing for NCsoft to do.  They could have easily just forked jME for their own internal commercial development and there's no reason that it would be "unfair" to do so.  However, they generously make contributions of the majority of the functionality back to jME.

I totally agree. There are not many companies that give this much back to the community. We should be glad that NCsoft allows their developers to contribute their code.

…and besides, you've still got me writing renegade code. :slight_smile:

What the frog said. There is absolutely nothing wrong with NCSoft paying the main jME devs to work on jME on their day job. This was a hobby project previously, it was only worked on in everybody's spare time.

The difference nowadays is that the NCSoft devs not only work on jME in their free time, but also on their day jobs. I fail to see how this is a bad thing.

I really hope that I am not a blinkered NCSoft fanboy, but I just have to say that the NCSoft devs have done some great work for jME especially in the past weeks.

We're on the brink of jME 2.0 (beta), which will bring great benefits and improvements for everybody, and thanks to the presentation this thread was originally about and many more the NC devs prepared on their day jobs (if I understood everything right) jME got even more popular among java developers all around the world. We can expect this to be very beneficial for the open source community.

Bottom line:

Thank you, NCSoft devs, for all the amazing work you have done for jME, especially, but not limited to, the past few weeks in preparation of jME 2.0 and JavaOne. And thank you NCSoft for making all that possible!

I don't know if I made myself clear in my reply but I was also supporting NCSoft and devs for that matter. Thank you all.

Funny how this thing got derailed.

I just wanted to post and say that it's a really nice editor… Thanks for the demo.

I'm a newbie to jME (old hand at game development though) and know nothing about NCSoft at this point, but I happened across this thread while searching the forum for information and wanted to contribute my 2 cents.  I think it is absolutely wonderful that the main developers behind this open-source project are are being paid to work on it, and am very glad to learn that is the case.  I have seen far too many promising game development tools (rendering engines especially) start out strong and then just kind of fade away through lack of long-term development support.  Indeed, part of why I'm looking at jME is because of minor longevity concerns I have with my current development tools.

For the record, if after spending some time researching this tool I decide to start using jME for future projects, I will be making dontations to help support it's development.

EDIT: Oh wait, are you the Guild Wars company?  That is very interesting, to know that such a major game game company is investing in this tool.  Certainly makes it all the more tempting for me to switch to.

Oh, and on-topic: that demo video is really cool!  That's one of the most complete world building tools I've seen.  I almost wish I could get my hands on it to try out, but then I'm already planning to use Maya as my world editor (I have some MEL scripts to output data for the game engine to use.)  Of course, even without the tool the video alone is interesting to watch just to see the process.

Yeah, we at Radakan are also using scripts (with Blender3D) to output to our world format. Would be nice if we can get our hands on such a tool… :smiley:

heh, i think its cool that we can benefit from NCsofts work at all. i have been developing with jme for work for 2 years now. unfortunately, i cannot share any of it … so heres the 'other' example. of course i do not produce as many sharable features as you guys at ncsoft do  :lol:

thanx NCsoft  :wink:

so long,

Andy

See, what are you guys doing harassing these guys from NCsoft when dhdd is obviously a better candidate for lynching. :slight_smile:

funny, i really do feel lynchable … nevertheless, wasn't my decision not to share  :wink:

this is just awesome. great job guys~

That is a really cool demo.  Are there any open source projects (or freeware or even for purchase software) that achieve a similar result?  I have seen MonkeyWorld but had some troubles when running on Linux.

thorst said:

That is a really cool demo.  Are there any open source projects (or freeware or even for purchase software) that achieve a similar result?  I have seen MonkeyWorld but had some troubles when running on Linux.

we r building something very similar to that at work here. and once we r done with it, we will very likely to release it as an open source project.
neakor said:

we r building something very similar to that at work here. and once we r done with it, we will very likely to release it as an open source project.

i already love you in advance for that software neakor ... hope that's not weird for you  :wink:

so long,
Andy