Tree Editor… now with save and load!

I finally got around to play around with this and I like it :slight_smile:
That would be a great plugin addition (or standalone, whatever you feel is right)

do you plan on saving the mesh as object, or going to save the parameter to reconstruct it?

Impressive! I played whit it and I’m agree with @netsky08 please make a plugin :D! by the way I think that it could be better if the branches generated have some level of randomness . I mean : if i set the length or the number of side joint in one level all the branches will have the same parameters , and i think this is leading to my feeling that the tree is quite unnatural . It’s just a little impression but it ruins the overall feeling :slight_smile: . Anyway you made a real good work!

Very impressive, I love these roots :wink:

@netsky08 said: I finally got around to play around with this and I like it :) That would be a great plugin addition (or standalone, whatever you feel is right)

do you plan on saving the mesh as object, or going to save the parameter to reconstruct it?

There will be some intermediate form that can be saved as well as the rules. The intermediate form will be what can be used to generate a specific mesh or set of LODs.

2 Likes

Playing with letting users visualize variation, both in seed and in normal scale + rotation type stuff.

Here are nine trees, all with the same seeds, but with maximum variation on scale, lean, and rotate… kind of cool.

The tree roots are nice because I can pull a tree right out of the ground like that without it looking stupid.

1 Like

New version is up…

Links are the same:
http://mythruna.com/temp/TreeEditor/TreeEditor-Windows.zip
http://mythruna.com/temp/TreeEditor/TreeEditor-Linux.zip
http://mythruna.com/temp/TreeEditor/TreeEditor-MacOSX.zip

Added some grass, sky, sun for better reference.

Added a “grid” for seeing variations next to each other. Trees can be varied by seed or limited to reuse the same seed. Even with one seed and just the other random variation (transform based), it’s nice.

I also added a couple people to help with scaling… though right now all of the scales of the settings are wrong. Eventually I’ll normalize all of that…hopefully before I support save/load. :wink:

Oh, and I added the stats for a single tree to the bottom of the settings window.

A picture just for you showing some of the new stuff:

4 Likes

I like the option to get the roots out of the ground

btw the shadows are not working on mac…go ask the guy that does all the shadow thingy to fix this…

Seems like the same problem I have with your voxel demo =/ (it shows when I use “Grass” option)

@kwando said: Seems like the same problem I have with your voxel demo =/ (it shows when I use "Grass" option)

Interesting. It’s using the same ground material but the triplanar mapping is obviously only hitting one plane.

@nehon said: I like the option to get the roots out of the ground

Heheh… that looked cool.

Points of interest…

50 trees, all using the same seed, ie: they are the same mesh. The only variation is rotation, leaning, and scaling.

Also, each tree is only 5675 triangles at full LOD. I think this has been a successful experiment. :wink:

LOD is my next big project for this.

1 Like
@kwando said: Seems like the same problem I have with your voxel demo =/ (it shows when I use "Grass" option)
got it too on the mac

Finally got gravity to work like I wanted… nice couple hours in Quaternion never-never land…

7 Likes

@pspeed, good work with the gravity! =)

I came along a minor thing did not work as I expected while treediting <-- (new word)

I found a set of params that got me a tree with nice roots, and then moved on to playing with the branches params.
Toggling the different branch levels on and of changes how the roots look, which was kind of unexpected.

I’m spending way to much time generating trees.

@kwando said: @pspeed, good work with the gravity! =)

I came along a minor thing did not work as I expected while treediting <– (new word)

I found a set of params that got me a tree with nice roots, and then moved on to playing with the branches params.
Toggling the different branch levels on and of changes how the roots look, which was kind of unexpected.

I’m spending way to much time generating trees.

That’s because you are consuming a different amount of random numbers. The roots will still be generated within their defined parameters but the ‘randomness’ changes because they get numbers from later in the sequence.

@kwando said: I'm spending way to much time generating trees.

Me too! :slight_smile:

I have a whole folder of screen shots so that I can recreate different trees from the panels.

@pspeed said: Finally got gravity to work like I wanted... nice couple hours in Quaternion never-never land...

That is really f’ing cool!

100% gravity will eventually = awesome willows. This is sweet!

Yet another new version is up…

Links are the same:

http://mythruna.com/temp/TreeEditor/TreeEditor-Windows.zip
http://mythruna.com/temp/TreeEditor/TreeEditor-Linux.zip
http://mythruna.com/temp/TreeEditor/TreeEditor-MacOSX.zip

Major accomplishments:

• Fixed gravity and added negative gravity
  • Fixed the scaling so that the parameters that should be meters are meters
  • Labeled the units where it makes sense… and normalized all but segmentVariation. Will do that one later.
  • Fixed a bug in how branch/root bends were done that was causing overzealous segmentation
  • Fixed a texture mapping bug in the branch/root bends
  • Added position variation to the forest grid

…and last but not least, added a “Save j30” button until I can get a proper save/load done.

If you want to load the tree then you will need my assets.jar, of course because of the textures and custom materials. I will create a trimmed down one with just the tree-related stuff once I have a chance to clean up the very messy shaders.

Here is the latest screen shot:

That tree saved and loaded into scene composer:

A forest grid with 100 trees and max position variation:

2 Likes