Tree generator

Where is the latest version of the code at? Then other developers could have a look at it. There are quite a few optimization gurus roaming in these jungles :wink:

One of my graphic cards crashed while programming the plugin. It is probably just a coincidince but I want to be sure that the engine isn’t capable of destroying a card. Or the card its memory. I was running two nvidia gt8500 cards in sli. Now i am running on one gt8500 card. It was the first one who crashed, i think it is the vram who’s got corrupt. If anyone could assure me that the jmonkeyengine isn’t the cause i can continue my work on the plugin.

It has been a while since i committed my last code. I am waiting to commit because it is one mess at the moment. If it is cleared up a bit i will commit my code.

My graphic cards never broke while programming with jMP, but it have constantly crashes, and the problem is always the same : Segmentation Fault.

@viridris: Check your computers air supply… What jme3 does can only produce hardware faults if the hardware and/or its drivers have problems from the start.

GPLv2 is bad :frowning:

1 Like

@viridris are you still around? I was just reminded of your tree generator right now as I was looking at some new models made for The Forester. Your project could really come in handy now.

@erlend_sh: I’m afraid it has been a while since the last time I had time to look at this project. I’m glad to hear that the project still could be of use to someone.

I guess I overestimated my knowledge of 3d models when I tried to create a LOD system for my trees, for it was a total failure.

Next week I will try to clean up my code and put the cleaned code on-line. You are free to use it but be aware that it is based on the Arbaro project which is licensed with a GPLv2 license.

I guess I overestimated my knowledge of 3d models when I tried to create a LOD system for my trees, for it was a total failure.
Heh, nothing wrong with aiming a bit too high once in a while. You underestimate the brain trust that is the jMonkeyEngine community! :D I know @androlo already tackled various issues regarding LOD in his work on The Forester for instance. There's no shortage of knowledge to draw upon around here as long as you communicate your challenges.

Next week I will try to clean up my code and put the cleaned code on-line. You are free to use it but be aware that it is based on the Arbaro project which is licensed with a GPLv2 license.
That shouldn't be a problem as long as it's a third party plugin. Does the Arbaro project dictate a license for the assets that the tool generates? Now that could be a much bigger problem, but I strongly doubt they'd make such a requirement.

Edit: Seems any output from GPL software is free to use and license as you wish.

Also, seeing as Arbaro is an abandoned project, there’s always the possibility that we could request our own BSD licensed fork for you to keep working on.

Now I’m just getting annoying, but whilst familiarizing myself with the Arbaro project on SourceForge (just looking for signs of life) I stumbled upon GroIMP, another Java-based algorithmic 3D modeler, quite recently updated. Alright, I’m gonna occupy myself with something else now :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

@vidris

I looked at the sapling system, which uses the same system as this one, and noticed you can make nice looking low poly trees as well. Probably gonna try and merge somehow. If I do this, I think the tree lod will be a bit easier to implement.

Not gonna do it now tho, but in a little while (need to fix some other stuff first).

@erlend_sh

That GroIMP seems very good. It can also be used in planting also since it’s sort of a general L-system program (if I’m not misstaken). Probably a lot harder to implement tho. Hmm…