Tried running on JRockit?

Hi guys!

I tried out JMonkey engine ages ago for my submarine simulator, which I eventually never got time to work on. It was fun to play around with though, and the performance of my testshot for JMonkey engine was way ahead of my implementation for Java3D. 

Now, I'm also a developer on the JRockit team (which kinda explains my lack of time), and I just wanted to check if anyone has tried running their apps on JRockit Real Time. This should be an interesting case where JRockit Real Time has the potential to really shine, and where the latency analyzer tools of JRockit Mission Control should be a blessing. Before we were purchased by Oracle, it was only possible to try out this stuff by getting an special eval license, but since the acquisition everything is freely available for development (yay! :slight_smile: ). It would be interesting to hear if someone has tried it out.

Kind regards,

Marcus

I tried out JRockit a really long time ago with jME and if I recall in some circumstances the performance was much better…thinking back I know there was a reason I didn't pursue it further, but I can't remember now what that reason was.

Well, if it was a really long time ago I can think of few good reasons why. :wink: A lot has happened since, and it would be interesting to see if our technology, which is primarily built for low latency server side use, could be applied to what you guys are doing here. I think it really could make a difference.

If there is interest, I'd be happy to do an internet conference thingy with anyone interested. :slight_smile: I'm on vacation for the next two weeks; since this is an extracurricular activity for me, finding a spot during those two weeks would be perfect. You'd have to bear with my Swedish accent though. :wink:

Kind regards,

Marcus

I would recommend running some performance tests and show FPS between the standard Hotspot, Server-mode, and JRockit and show how well they stack up on the different examples in jME.  That would be really interesting to see some specific stats on how they compare.

Do you have some direct download link to JRockit Real Time? The oracle site requires me to log in, but it refuses my old Oracle account, and it wont register a new one either.

Did you try the http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/jrockit/index.html one? That is unfortunately the only official download site I know of right now.

If you've forgotten your password, you should be able to request a new one.

Kind regards,

Marcus

That one requires to be logged in (after clicking 'download'). But…

bugmenot.com :slight_smile:

When i request a new password, it says user does not exists. If i try to register with the same e-mail address, it says user name already in use. Now i managed to register with a different e-mail address, using Internet Explorer.

Will give it a try.

Cool! Don't forget to run with -Xgcprio:deterministic and set -XpauseTarget to the number of milliseconds that you can accept the GC to run, for instance -XpauseTarget:30.

Kind regards,

Marcus

I just get a native crash when running an lwjgl app with JRockit :frowning:

Interesting! It would be great if you could send me the jrockit.dump file. (marcus at hirt dot se) Also, if you have a simple reproducer that provokes the problem I'd love to see it!

Kind regards,

Marcus

Marcus

Have you tried running JME with JRockit ?

I've sent an email to you, Greystone. I also sent a jnlp of the app I started, but please note it's not mine.

Yes, I did run JME on JRockit when I was playing with my Submarine sim, but that was quite a while ago. I'm going to set it up again and start measuring tonight, after I'm done with work. :wink:

I'm thinking I should measure on a standard JMonkey Engine demo so that others can verify and reproduce my results. Any really intensive standard JMonkey demo you think I should measure on? Is there any standard JMonkey benchmark that produces a handy number, like 3DMark or SciMark?

Kind regards,

Marcus

There is a very good test you can try TestGraphBrowser

You may also want to compare with TestIsland

Both of these tests are quite gpu restricted. For the jvm performance to be taken into account a cpu restricted test should be chose, imo.

TestSwarm could be such a test. It's not ideal either. But it produces lag due to garbage collection on the Sun server VM…

Perfect! Will try the TestSwarm then and produce a detailed JRA recording over the GC behaviour for JRockit, a verbose:gc-log for Sun and compare the two. This will probably be a bit apples to oranges though. Does anyone know a better way than -verbose:gc for detailed GC profiling of the Sun JVM?

Kind regards,

Marcus

as i understand it, jrockit is a JRE, so if my game relies on the jrockit VM, i need to distribute it together with the game right?

That's correct, but in Java game distribution (at least on Windows) I think it's generally a good idea to bring a JRE in the bundle when they download the game to simplify game installation.

Does Hevee's installer do that?