Turn-based strategy game dev blog

Hi everyone,
I’ve just started mantaining a blog on my new project, a clone of Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes combat system using JMonkey. You can find my wordpress page here. I’m using the blog to document all development phases of the game and it will be frequently updated. Also, code will be freely available on GitHub under GPLv3 and updated everytime a project’s milestone is reached. I’d really appreciate your feedback and suggestions. I hope you’ll want to take a look at it.

Thank you!
Greetings from Italy

4 Likes

Fantastico! Non vedo l’ora di provarlo! In bocca al lupo :wink:
Tienici aggiornati sui progressi…

I played through MM:CH. It might be the only mobile RPG I ever enjoyed. Very polished game with a clever combat system.

Best of luck figuring it all out. Will you be doing it in 2D or 3D?

Scimmie italiane :wink:

Thank you. I’ll be doing it in 3D, although keeping the original 2D gameplay. Let’s say I’ll take advantage of 3D to add some “touch” here and there :smile:

Crepi! Saluti alle scimmie tricolore :wink:

Hi guys!
I’ve just added new stuff on my devblog, in which I discuss of concurrently handled spatials and architectural choices in my videogame. Code has been loaded on GitHub as well.

Follow me on twitter if you feel like it and want to alwyas stay up to date with the project.
Enjoy and have a good day! :smile:

2 Likes

Game’s starting to look like one, more or less. If you want, let me know what you think of it, like or dislike about it and what I could have done better. Thank you guys.

2 Likes

Thumbs up to ya!

I remember wasting several days on this beauty:

It became fun to me the moment I realized it was easiest when you played it like a game of pac-man* (initially hunt down treasures and free units while focusing on avoiding battles, at first) and then switched over to a “cherry picking” situation (picking winnable fights to increase my “safely traversable” area as well as to increase (Leadership/gold/troops))

so yeah, this format was one of the best of the series, IMHO. I haven’t played any of the others, as that this format allowed a style of play that didn’t seem to suffer as much from “power grind” as the others. but meh…

This game is yours! Good luck, and have tons of fun making it! :smile:

Game on,
Charles

Really enjoy your blog posts. Nice mix of tech- and design-speak. Edited in your video for you so the ones just skimming past can keep up as well.

Btw, are you aiming for 1:1 emulation of a single race’s mechanics, or are you going for several?

Thank you for your encouraging words sir :slight_smile:
Since this was born as a school project, I think I’ll aim to a simplified emulation of a single race first (i.e. just single pieces and triplets, no 2x1 and 2x2 special pieces). Nonetheless, I’ll keep developing the game after evaluation and plan to achieve 1:1 emulation of every race in the game. Actually I’m also considering the idea of a race editor/customizer but… let’s keep it small for now, things already tend to grow beyond expectations on their own and I guess such an idea would bring a whole lot of balancing-related problems with it.

Thanks! I’m really enjoying the development work :slight_smile: However, you should definitely give MM:CH a try because it seems to match your taste. It was ported on like every possible platform, including android. Let me know what you think of it!

Yes, and for those viewing this topic that have not played it, here’s a vid:

http://youtu.be/P_5-eC-KF3Y

The game, Heroes of Might n Magic: Quest for the Dragon Bone Staff (HMM:QDBS), has a fundamentally different style of play than MM:CH, which is why I’m not too worried about my previous post.

HMM:QDBS has a navigation system that can be considered open-world ish… If you have enough skill, you can unlock a hefty boost to troop types and levels without a single battle or even any plot progression at all. This would be an alternative to the node based navigation of MM:CH. That was all that I was actually suggesting.

You might want to retain MM:CH node based traversal, if you are wanting to go with a “play once for a story” type setup. I enjoyed the high replay value of HMM:QDBS due to the ability of the navigation system to compress a 2-4hr game into a “30 minute” casual game. You could legitimately power up your troops/skills to end-game levels by merely exploring for power ups. Also, there wasn’t a whole lot of story to get in the way of gameplay. In reality, you were just unlocking panels to a picture. You were able to beat the final boss once you completed the picture of the staff. Simple plot, simple plot mechanic, procedurally generated navigation map… tons of fun to me.

edit: and yes, MM:CH is a blast! :laughing: