Two Questions :S

My “workspace” was a mess so im restarting all and…

• Its possible can i set the engine to work with OpenGL 1.3 or 1.4? How can I do this correctly without bugs? And how can i be sure that im using the correct set opengl?

• Anyone got for free the PDFs versions of the manuals and docs for download?

Thanks!

jME only works with OpenGL 2 or higher. If you want to work with OpenGL 1 you’ll have to switch to plain LWJGL or another OpenGL binding for Java.

The docs for jME are all hosted freely online, and there is no PDF documentation for the engine. Both the javadoc and an excellent wiki maintained primarily by @mitm are linked at the top of the forum page.

2 Likes

This is not entirely true, jME v3.1 or v3.2 require openGL 2, but you can always use jME v3.0 then.
However what are your concerns when not using 1.3 or 1.4? Do you really want to support hardware from 2001? (actually they’d have to be even older, because most openGL Things are Driver Related and get patched in afterwards)

Edit: And jME 3.0 might still use ARB_vertex_buffer_object, so even that might be v1.5

1 Like

Oh, ok. :confused:
I’ll try to find something again through “scribd” or other websites. ;(

Even though I have to sacrifice the ease of generating shader, I always think Performance > Graphic.
“We” got some epic games in PS1 that I doubt that is in “Directx9/OpenGL 2.1 Era” xD
Nowadays some games are being created with “Directx12/OpenGL 4.5 Era” render unecessarily, at last, at my viewpoint.

@edit:
for example, u can see games that u just run and shoot (2D) being made with GLES 3.0.

like in the Unity engine, if u create a 2D game, ure using a 3D renderer
U’ll use more CPU and GPU (difference of some %, even 1%) in non-sense way

At last, is what i think

Im right or wrong?

Kind of wrong. The GPU/CPU don’t work that much harder when being used for 2D versus 3D. The same operations have to be performed at the low level, either way… and the pipelines are all optimized.

Also, the old fixed function pipeline from pre-shaders is likely implemented internally with shaders now. So even if you are running older pre-shader OpenGL, you are going to be using the same amount of CPU/GPU… and possibly more. The fixed function pipeline has features in there potentially being used even if you are not using them. It’s “fixed function” after all. If the modern drivers don’t bother to optimize then maybe you are paying for something like fog even if you aren’t using it. How would you know?

To add on to what @pspeed said, modern OpenGL has also put a TON of features towards improving performance, like instancing, special buffers, GPU compute, etc. Shaders are only expensive if you write them to be expensive (and you’d be surprised what you can get away with doing and still maintain 30 FPS on hardware that’s low-powered by today’s standards). I’d expect well-written and designed code on modern OpenGL to outperform similar code on older OpenGL, at a lower cost in development time.

i think that hes talkin about this

dragon age 2… if u change the render directx11 to directx9 u get low performance

i think that is code based, depends on the game

is this what u talking about @tomarlo4?

The picture on the right is clearly a better picture… it’s doing more work.

Neither of those pictures is possible without shaders, though. So it’s not relevant to the “shaders or no shaders” argument that started this thread.

oh, i found the post is related to performance and less use of graphics, not about shaders
sorry hahahah