Units and workflow of modelling

Hi there,

I have a general question concerning threethings:

1. I know that all values (e.g. if I add a force like addForce(new Vector3f(0,0,-5))) are just units. No meters, centimeters and so on and that I have to decide how to interpret these units. But in some cases you have to focus on real units like pixels (e.g. Textures, Heightmaps and so on). So how do YOU map these values? Is there a common way to say e.g. setLocaltranslation(new Vector3f(2,0,0)) means 2 meters?

2. The first thing I'll do is to build a terrain in 3dmax. But the first question is: Should I keep the unit setting in units, should I better use meters? And how do you determine dimension relations? I mean let's say you have a character and you want to build a house. How do you model that object? Do you import the character and build the house that it's size in relation to the character is ok? Or do you solve those relation related thing in JME using setScale? Let's say I want to build a terrain which at the end is something like 1km

It really depends on what you want to do… For me, it makes perfect sense to have units = meters… You need to keep your conventions straight, though, because the models need to have the same one or you will have to manually rescale everything by hand.

Check this thread also:

http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/jmeforum/index.php?topic=5456.0

Jep, I read this thread already.

You need to keep your conventions straight, though, because the models need to have the same one or you will have to manually rescale everything by hand.

That's why I want to get the question cleared as soon as possible.