Unity3D FPS Tutorial to jMonkey

The inspiration for This little project came from Two question about develvop games in JME3?

@yarin1312 said:
1.Can i Develop a FPS game in JME3?
2. There is a known game that develop in JME3 and a lot of people play him?

@yarin1312 said:
i dont have experience with programming games but i have experience in java, if you mean that :D
JME3 cant reach to a level of UDK games and Unity3D games? i mean level of Grapics, because i saw a lof of video in youtube about game
in JME and actually i didnt find a lot of them and the games i find they have a low graphics

July 12, 2012 Project Start
I intend to follow the entire tutorial in Unity3D then recreate the project using the same assets and shaders in jMonkey.

EDIT:
I intend to answer:
Can i Develop a FPS game in JME3?
And
JME3 cant reach to a level of UDK games and Unity3D games?
I hope the last is wrong without loss of frames per second.

The only issues that are foreseen is extracting animations out of the FBX files. There is no real trick to converting FBX to OBJ but you lose the animations.

July 13, 2012 FBX converted to J3O
As I thought before there is a lot of issues with converting the FBX models I have lost all animations from the robot but i intend to screen shot the frames that I believe to be key and re create the animations.
"If the finished game animations are off that relates to aesthetics not graphics right?"

July 13, 2012 TIF converted to PNG
This turned out to be simpler than I thought there is an online sight that will do the conversions for you This update is basically just to share that link. :D
go2convert.com
"Gimp gave unexpected results"

July 13, 2012 Converting Materials from Unity3D
Due to the fact that materials and shaders are not my strong point this step seems to be the hardest for me the materials used in Unity3D are far different from the available materials in jMonkey. This step could take some time. :(

July 14, 2012 jMonkey Project in sync with Unity3D Project
So after a long time messing with the materials in Blender and jMonkey I have decided to move on copping almost directly the code form HelloCollision. I have only modified how the camera is handled placing the player in a similar location in the level. The only issue I see is that the camera must be handled differently in Unity3D. In jMonkey with the same settings the camera is in the wall while in unity it is just as close to the wall as possible without going into it.

July 17, 2012 Using Maya 2012 to export FBX with OgreMax
Converting assets for use with jMonkey takes more effort than i thought at this point I am finished with part one of the Unity3D FPS Tutorial hopefully I will have a video to share soon.
"I don't want to create a video of the game until the assets are fully implemented"
7 Likes

Good luck, good idea you seem very talented man i hope that you will succed

1 Like

yh good luck :slight_smile:

1 Like

Isn’t possible to import the FBX in blender and then export it as an ogre xml?

@nehon said:
Isn't possible to import the FBX in blender and then export it as an ogre xml?

It's not that complicated.

FBX Converter

FBX -> FBX Converter -> OBJ -> Blender -> OGRE ->JMP -> J3O

EDIT:
But like I said you lose animations from converting to OBJ and the other formats you can export to don't play nicely with Blender

oh darn…i saw the FBX plugin in “Import/Export” but i wasn’t aware that it was just able to export…

that’s too bad

If you scroll down on the link I gave you to the section FBX Converter you can just download the stand alone FBX Converter application for Windows or Mac This works well for me.

Anyway I wish you luck for your endeavor. I’m looking forward to your progress

1 Like

fbx is one of my favourite parts for useage with jme3 (since it usually is exported with orgremax fine no matter who created it).

So if by any chance you are or know a student, just use the student version of 3dsmax(as this is noncommercial I assume)

@EmpirePhoenix said:
fbx is one of my favourite parts for useage with jme3 (since it usually is exported with orgremax fine no matter who created it).
So if by any chance you are or know a student, just use the student version of 3dsmax(as this is noncommercial I assume)

I wish I knew some one with 3dsMax but I don't thank you though. I had it once but I felt guilty. ;)

I have imported all models and all mainLevelMesh materials.

“I misinterpreted the crate meshes in the back shouldn’t have smooth shaded them”

4 Likes

Cool, been wanting to see someone do this. Good luck!

1 Like

I eagerly await your solution for ‘gluing’ a weapon in front of the camera, and wish you all the best in this endeavour. :slight_smile:

Nice project, good luck with it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Major material fail

1. What the heck does Unity3D do to make a model with too separate UV layouts one for textures and one for shadows?
  2. can someone explain this to me?

Diffuse

Diffuse Sheet “Removed for space”

Light Map

Light Map “Removed for space”

To clarify if Unity3D creates a single mesh with a single material and in jMonkey I need to create 16 meshes with 16 materials to get the same result.

3. Wouldn’t the slow down rendering?

“I am posting this at Unity3D FPS Tutorial to jMonkey and Major Material Fail”

I answered in the other thread. Great project btw! The SDK screenshot shows so much how much its about the assets when people say how “powerful” engines are. Just have some screens like that and nobody cares what the tools actually do and how hard it is to code the engine :wink:

Well actually it fastens up rendering if i undestood it. Sicne they can draw the whole level in one call. (Of course this changes iwth ultra large levels, due to the poly count in that one object)

@EmpirePhoenix said:
Well actually it fastens up rendering if i undestood it. Sicne they can draw the whole level in one call. (Of course this changes iwth ultra large levels, due to the poly count in that one object)

I do understand the rendering process I have created some simple OpenGL projects on Android without the use of an engine.
I must have been unclear in the third question what I was saying is that if I separate the mesh from 1 to 16 this would slow cause loss in performance.

Sorry about being unclear.

EDIT:
The question should be discarded Thank You.
@skidrunner said:
Major material fail
1. What the heck does Unity3D do to make a model with too separate UV layouts one for textures and one for shadows?

Two different texture coordinates.

@skidrunner said:
2. can someone explain this to me?

Each vertex has a coordinate in the diffuse texture atlas and a coordinate in the shadow map. The shader then takes care of which does what.

@skidrunner said:
To clarify if Unity3D creates a single mesh with a single material and in jMonkey I need to create 16 meshes with 16 materials to get the same result.

3. Wouldn't the slow down rendering?

In jMonkey you do not need to create 16 separate meshes and materials. If the original geometry is one mesh then you can do that in JME also... but you might have to do some shader worker. I think only the Unshaded material supports light maps directly.

skidrunner seem to be good candidate for contributor :wink: OFC after he will done it :evil: