Updating/plugins issue with jme 3.0 stable linux 64bit

I just completely removed my old jmonkey installations to install the newly released 3.0 stable.

I get a message saying “35 updates found”, These are the updates it finds:

Android Support [3.0.0 -> 3.0.1] Applet Support [3.0.0 -> 3.0.1] AssetPack Support [3.0.0 -> 3.0.1] Blender Support [3.0.0 -> 3.0.1] Cinematics Editor [3.0.0 -> 3.0.1] Code Checks [3.0.0 -> 3.0.1] Code Palette [3.0.0 -> 3.0.1] Desktop Deployment Support [3.0.0 -> 3.0.1] Font Creator [3.0.0 -> 3.0.1] GLSL Editor [3.0.0 -> 3.0.1] IDE Platform     Native Execution [ ->] Material Support [3.0.0 -> 3.0.1] Model Import Tool [3.0.0 -> 3.0.1] NavMeshGen [3.0.0 -> 3.0.1] NiftyGUI Support [3.0.0 -> 3.0.1] Obfuscation Support [3.0.0 -> 3.0.1] OgreXML Support [3.0.0 -> 3.0.1] OgreXML Tools [3.0.0 -> 3.0.1] Project Templates [3.0.0 -> 3.0.1] Project Test Data [3.0.0 -> 3.0.1] SDK Core [3.0.0 -> 3.0.1] SDK Engine [3.0.0 -> 3.0.1] SDK Libraries [3.0.0 -> 3.0.1] SceneComposer [3.0.0 -> 3.0.1] Terrain Editor [3.0.0 -> 3.0.1] Tests Template [3.0.0 -> 3.0.1] Texture Editor [3.0.0 -> 3.0.1] Update Centers [3.0.0 -> 3.0.1] Upgrader [3.0.0 -> 3.0.1] Vehicle Creator [3.0.0 -> 3.0.1] Wavefront OBJ Support [3.0.0 -> 3.0.1] Welcome Screen [3.0.0 -> 3.0.1] jME3 and SDK Documentation [3.0.0 -> 3.0.1] jMonkeyEngine3 External Libraries [3.0.0 -> 3.0.1] jMonkeyEngine3 Library [3.0.0 -> 3.0.1]

However after it finished, it recomends I restart the program, I restart it… then it seems to forget that I just updated and tells me 35 updates are available (the same updates). The same sort of thing happens when trying to install any plugins, you check for some plugins to install, you install them… but theyre not there and theyre listed under “available” not under “installed” plugins.

I think this issue is linux only, as I had no issue on my windows machine… anyone else on linux experiencing this?

1 Like

I tried running a test project, and I got access denied from the jdk thas bundled with jmonkey… I suspect this is a related issue (perhaps updates/plugins are failing silently due to an access denied error)

I’m guessing theres some permission confusion due to the jmonkey being installed in my user directory and the jdk being installed under that structure (whereas the JDK is usually in a user neutral location that all users can access)

I tried running jmonkey as root user, but i still got access denied when running a test project (i guess the user that runs the project is a special netbeans user that is different from the user that starts the application)

Is there a way to disregard the bundled jdk when installing and have it run with my already installed jdk as it did in the previous version of jmonkey?

I guess I’m partially solving my own issue.

in the file jmonkeyplatform/etc/jmonkeyplatform.conf commenting out the line


fixes both issues. Though this of course requires already having your own JDK installed, and means the bundled JDK doesnt work on the linux version.

1 Like

Thanks, I was experiencing the exact same issue and couldn’t install any plugins or updates. Uncommenting jdkhome worked for me too.

Seems theres a user rights issue, can you check if the jdk folder has a different user assigned than the others? The point of the SDK bundling the JDK is that you don’t use some JDK installed in the system.

1 Like

I took some time to look into this and found the problem. At least on my system, all files in the jdk folder are assigned to the correct user, but the files in jmonkeyplatform/jdk/jre/bin are missing the executable permission bit.

In the case of the broken update, jmonkeyplatform tries to use jmonkeyplatform/jdk/jre/bin/unpack200 to upack the downloaded files but fails since it does not have permission to run the executable.

Running “chmod +x *” inside jmonkeyplatform/jdk/jre/bin fixes the issue.


Thanks, chmod +x in ~/jmonkeyplatform/jdk/jre/bin helped.


i had same problem and i solve adding execute permissions in “jmonkeyplatform/jdk/jre/bin”.

thank you.


Thanks Christoph! That was driving me crazy!


Had the same problem, solved by commenting out jdkhome=”jdk”.

I see that the jmonkeyplatform/jdk/jre/bin didnt have the executable flag but now I’m too lazy to reinstall to confirm this fix as I commented jdkhome and it worked.

Ubuntu 13.10, 64 bit.

Triple confirmed. I had the same issue, updates would not take effect until I gave all files the execute bit in “jmonkeyplatform/jdk/jre/bin”.