Urban Galaxy MMORPG

Hello to everyone,

I would like to share with you a browser based MMORPG I am working on as gameplay programmer:

http://www.urbangalaxyonline.com

The game uses the JME2 engine and launches as an embedded applet.

Many thanks to the JME developers for this great engine.

It is still in pre-alpha phase but I would really appreciate your early feedback on the game.

Update:

jME-related Interview with the Urban Galaxy team

WOW!  That looks great!  Beautiful work!

Is it a free to play or subscription based game?  Nice work :slight_smile:

The game is to be released Q1 2011 and it will be f2p, but the payment model is due to change till then.

yup looks great, reminds me of fifth element, starwars, eve online and blade runner :slight_smile:

got time to answers some questions?

1. how many ppl are working on this? (programmers, artists, etc)

2. do you plan to switch to jme3 or continue with jme2?

3. what type of jme applet are you using? (lwjgl + appletloader, jogl, some custom configuration?)

4. seemed a bit jerky in the video, maybe its just the video recorder?

good work though.

Looks beautiful! Good job

Looks awesome! Great work!

faust said:

yup looks great, reminds me of fifth element, starwars, eve online and blade runner :)

got time to answers some questions?

1) how many ppl are working on this? (programmers, artists, etc)

The team consists of 3 people. We are trying to expand the team to be able to deliver 3D content faster. What you see is our vertical slice of the game. We have all the tools and our admin pages set-up and we are ready to fill in content.

2) do you plan to switch to jme3 or continue with jme2?

We have no plans switching to jme3. We do not want to use shader-based materials so that we can keep the minimum hardware requirements as low as possible. We already made an initial switch from JME1 -> JME2 cause JME1 did not work with the latest LWJGL. JME1 did not seem to work on intel based macs and we also needed the improved applet loader support of LWJGL 2.x.

3) what type of jme applet are you using? (lwjgl + appletloader, jogl, some custom configuration?)

lwjgl + appletloader

4) seemed a bit jerky in the video, maybe its just the video recorder?

Yes, we were capturing the video at 720p in order to be uploaded as HD on youtube.

thx for the answering, very interesting stuff.

btw you might want to post it over at JGO too, those folk always like cool new java game projects like this :slight_smile:

Will do, thanks for the advice :slight_smile:

I think this should be featured in the YouTube / Project media page… it looks very nice! And people don't think jME can deliver good quality games! Ha! … and I mean: HA! With this, Poisonville, Grappling Hook and so many other astounding projects popping out, I think we have a very strong case.  :evil:

Also,  I was wondering about this

kinix said:

We have no plans switching to jme3. We do not want to use shader-based materials so that we can keep the minimum hardware requirements as low as possible.

It does seem like jME might lose some niche for older computers here, wouldn't it? It worries me a bit.  :|

Please, feel free to use the video to promote JME as you see fit.

Concerning JME2 vs JME3, it depends on the target audience you are trying to penetrate. In our case, we are promoting a browser embedded game which we would like to be playable (although not benchmarked yet) on netbooks and laptops. In addition it is important to keep the downloadable content as low as possible, so we do not want to use normal maps, specular maps or other fancy materials. Apart from that, making a transition from a stable version to an alpha version is not a wise choice to do, during production, because an API change to JME3 or potential bugs would stall the development cycle.

In any case my opinion is that JME3 is heading to the right direction (especially the android support looks sweet) and the features look great. As soon as it matures we might reconsider a port (android and garbage collection are quite attractive features).

It's true with shaders, my laptop from 4 years ago. The intel integrated graphics card on it doesn't support shaders, but the current models do. And things are shifted to be entirely programmable pipeline versus fixed. Shaders shouldn't conjure up fancy materials, since you can write a very basic shader that mimics fixed-function pipeline materials, and still be compiled under the older shader models to accommodate older hardware.

It does seem like jME might lose some niche for older computers here, wouldn't it? It worries me a bit.

That's what jME2 is here for, and all the other 3D Java engines out there.
On the other hand, jME3 is the only Java engine that is shader-oriented, so I see that as a plus, and not a minus.
Momoko_Fan said:

That's what jME2 is here for, and all the other 3D Java engines out there.
On the other hand, jME3 is the only Java engine that is shader-oriented, so I see that as a plus, and not a minus.

I completely agree, if you want JME3 to be a used even in a professional context it should offer at least the same thing as other professional engines.
I would also say that time is playing with JME3, old non shader compliant graphic cards will eventually disappear one day or another, and JME3 should definitely be turned to the future. (geometry shader maybe???  :D)

About Urban Galaxy, it looks really great.
Good Job!

Wow…very impressive!

Keep up the great work!

Wow, that's one of the most polished jME2 powered games I've ever seen! 3 people ey? Very impressive.

I've added your video to our playlist. Once I come back from interrailing on the 14th I'll get in touch with you about a spotlight post and possibly an interview if you'd like.

I checked the youtube jme channel. Nice…!!

erlend_sh: I am at your service concerning the post and the interview.

Again, congrats on a great looking game. I sent you an email yesterday with similar thoughts. I currently play DarkOrbit, but it's getting a little "old". I don't have alot of game time, but when I do I like to spend it "wisely". Here's looking forward to spending some time with Urban Galaxy!

Thanks again!

I agree with previous posters. Very impressive job so far! Keep it up.

Best regards,

Rickard

kinix said:

I checked the youtube jme channel. Nice...!!

erlend_sh: I am at your service concerning the post and the interview.
Alright I'm back. Let's make this interview happen :)