Urban Galaxy MMORPG

There's now an elaborate interview with the Urban Galaxy team available on our blog:

http://jmonkeyengine.com/blog/blog/2010/08/03/interview-with-the-development-team-behind-urban-galaxy-an-online-space-mmo/

I took the liberty of adding it to the opening post.

hey are u using nifty gui for all the windows and stuff?

The GUI is custom made (tailored to the game) and is implemented using JME’s Text, Quad classes and Mouse/Keyboard listeners.

Kinix, what happened to Urban Galaxy?

1 Like

Using the wayback machine, I could travel back to June 2017, where I found the following information:

There is a link to their discord there:

(should I post this? It isn’t my discord. Send me a PM and I will edit it out)

However, on the #info channel, it reads:

Urban Galaxy 2 has been shut downed. I hope you all had fun while UG was still active!

with 2 :disappointed_relieved: and 2 :cry: emojis.

I actually looked it up earlier this fall. Then UG2 was something of a MOBA with spaceships. They were using HTML5 I believe. A little later, the urbangalaxy.com address was for sale.

It was made with JME2 if I recall correctly.

First version was jm2 then we switched to three.js

Unfortunately it was requiring too much time and effort that we could no longer support and given that it did not take off as expected we decided to let go and move on.

1 Like

Well, kudos for going that far. Sometimes even good things have to stop :wink:

Hey have you got any old screenshots of it? Most of us never got to see it first hand.

Edit: No, wait I HAVE played this actually! That is if these are the right screenshots I found on google.

3 Likes

You can also find plenty of videos on YouTube. Just search for urban galaxy online.

@kinix you still around? I hope so, because everything UG related other than the youtube channel is gone.
I just have some questions.

you probably get this one alot:
Will UG ever comeback?
Also if you need help bringing it back just ask. Like if you need a coder or something. I’m taking college level code classes and maybe if I learn some more we can work together? (I hope)