Using ode physics only when needed

Is it possible to only use the parts that you need i.e player/world collisions walls,floors and interact with static objects,forces for bullets and handle player movements with jme.

also has physics1 be fixed to match jme yet.

mcbeth said:

Is it possible to only use the parts that you need i.e player/world collisions walls,floors and interact with static objects,forces for bullets and handle player movements with jme.

sure, why not
mcbeth said:

also has physics1 be fixed to match jme yet.

afaik not - patches welcome :)

I had been thinking about patching jME-Physics1 but didn't know if very many people were still using it?  How many people are still using jME-Physics1 and the newest version of jME?

darkfrog

thanks some more questions

what would be the best way to approach setting up the player then, as I remember it being said that in the physics world using forces was more advisable than jme translations and such. what I'm working on is animation intensive and I need to have control over all the characters in the scene and having them being fully/adversely affected by physics while maintaining control seems a very bad idea from my own tests or atleast fairly technical from other discussions here, I'm a hobbyist so if fairly technical doesn't involve balance sheets or sales journals I'm in trouble :wink:

anyway some advice would be appreciated

darkfrog said:

I had been thinking about patching jME-Physics1 but didn't know if very many people were still using it? How many people are still using jME-Physics1 and the newest version of jME?

darkfrog

nah not really necessary if you quide me on how to do explosions and the actractor in the new stuff the effects are really all I'm interested in. 8) :// ;)

It really depends on the kind of control you want to have/keep and the kind of (physical) player representation you have.

So: what do you want to have eventually?

the characters are humanoid mainly, i'm attempting a thirdperson shooter/fighting type game/sim, generally I want to prevent stuff from going through each other player->world, player->npc, the odd vase on the table :), basically physics base collision detection without adverse effects  like the player flying/bouncing uncontrolably into space or the represantational box tipping over and handle movement routines animation with jme.

Ok, I guess that would at least become tricky. And I would really suggest that you either use jME Physics 2 or no physics library at all. Without a physics library it will cost you quite more implementation and performance tuning effort. With jME Physics 2 it would be more studying effects, testing and behaviour tuning…

If you go with jME Physics 2 I would suggest the following: Move complex things (like characters) with normal jME methods - without control of ode. Only simple things (like walls, the odd vase etc.) are controlled directly by ode (Static- or DynamicPhysicsObjects). To get physics for the complex things create invisible physics objects with approximate collision geometries and attach them to world coordinates via fixed joints. The joints should be connected to the world where the visual representations are located. You can then use the feedback from ode (the contacts and positions of the geoms) to adjust your visual representations when needed.

For an example how to control physics objects with coordinates unaffected by physics have a look into PhysicsPicker - it uses the mouse to grab things with the mouse and uses the described technique. To see it in action run TestGenerateGeometry.

yeah I've been using physics2 mainly adjusting a copy of the physics player tut. As for physics1 as I said only explosions and atractor interests me, I have alot more things to think about before I get to that point though, but are they going to get ported sometime in the future?

thanks alot man

I have no actual plans to do it. But it wouldn't be hard. Quite the same like before… darkfrog mentioned that he could port it but that was quite a while ago and I think he has different things on his plate currently…

I'm actually a lot more bogged down than I expected to be. :o  When I get around to converting, the explosions I will definitely need along with rolling friction, but that still may be a while yet.

darkfrog

thank we'll see when that time comes, for now I'll concentrate on getting the player stuff to work. if I do get it working I'll post the kata sequence I was working on sometime ago…after some reworking, I'm a less sucky modeller now and want to rebuild that character.