Hi, thanks for the help Normen. I have altered the collision model, and it has helped marginally.
It sometimes is now easy to get unstuck by holding accelerate or reverse for perhaps 4 seconds, but still gets stuck extremely often, and occasionally is permanently stuck. The collision model is literally just a box the vehicle is dropped into. I tesselated it to make the triangles smaller.
Is there anything else I can do to help with this? I really love the way the vehicle control handles and it would be great to have in my game.
The friction of both is 0.5f. I just tested with one and both at 0 friction, same problem.
I’m using the VehicleControl.accelerate(float) so I believe all my wheels are powered. I printed wheelget.DeltaRotation() to see how they are rotating when it gets stuck, and all 4 wheels are barely rotating when stuck.
Ok I’m gonna give this a try now, thanks for the suggestion.
I don’t want to start yet another thread for this one, so when creating a CompoundCollisionShape, say out of two boxes, is it then possible to move one of the shapes making up the compound shape independantly of the other (and collisions working)? I want to use this for my forklift truck - 1 for the collision box as seen in the image, and another smaller for the lifter at the front. I have tried this with a Kinematic rigidbodycontrol, but it did not work very well.
I managed to solve the issue with your suggestion Empire Phoenix. I calculated if it was stuck, then bumped it in the correct direction and translated it upwards, if it was still stuck I repeat with larger values, works nicely enough. Thank you.
I’m also be interested in knowing about large triangles (never noticed a problem before), and if anyone knows about moving one part of a compound collision shape that would be amazing.
In case anyone else eventually has this problem, the final solution was to track the distance the vehicle had travelled since i last pressed the button to accelerate or decellerate, if it was < 0.1, I would begin increasing the acceleration value by 20*stuckCount, were stuckCount is increased every update. This is the smoothest solution I can find. Also increasing restitution to 1 helped if you dont mind the other effects.
Thanks Johan, I suppose I’ll have to use a joint based on how they do it. I’ll start preparing my support thread for that now…
or use a denser collision mesh. I had similar problems getting a cylinder to collide with stuff. If the side of the cylinder hit it would clip through and get stuck. The margin helped a little but the problem went away when I used a scaled capsule instead (more triangles)