Version 0.10

What's in store for 0.10?

Here's the plans:

-Multipass support

-Shadow Volumes (ZPass)

-BSP and/or Portals

-Third Person controller

-Various improvements to existing features: TextureManager (Allow for better image memory usage and better loading), Logging (better control).

AND yes, as much as it pains me… DOCUMENTATION. :slight_smile:

I will be spending pretty much the entire time writing proper documentation. It will be in the form of: Game Tutorial (I will start a game from the ground up and write a tutorial on how to each part works, the how and why), which leads to writing User's Reference (as I talk about something in the tutorial I will expand the technical details in the User's Reference), which then leads to validating and improving Javadoc (If I reference methods/classes/etc in the user's reference, I will check them in Javadoc).

I feel your pain and am happy to help with docs and tutorials as needed.  Developers should always have a technical writer at their side while coding taking down notes so we don't have to. :-p

darkfrog

Sweet to hear :)  do You have an idea for that game already ? or do You take suggestions from the comunity ?

BTW: congrats on 0.9  rocks as ever !

Good question Winkman,

Mojo, if you don't already have an idea for a game I would like to suggest an FPS written utilizing jME-Physics. :wink:

darkfrog

whoa

love u mojo ! kiss  :smiley:

:mrgreen:

as u want me to do anything in helping writing down things

just ask and i'll try to make it

Mojo,

can I also suggest these following features:

- Runtime terrain page editing,

- beter type water surface,

- improvements on the jme format.

These will be great additions, thanks!

I agree with tGiantLabs support for water would be very intresting. After all many types of different games could use this, and it's be nice for game developers to have a generic way to use "water" and have it run on different machines. Might start a thread on this when I have some time.

llama said:

I agree with tGiantLabs support for water would be very intresting. After all many types of different games could use this, and it's be nice for game developers to have a generic way to use "water" and have it run on different machines. Might start a thread on this when I have some time.

you might find this useful  http://java.sys-con.com/read/48544.htm this is a zip with source aswell
mojomonk said:

AND yes, as much as it pains me... DOCUMENTATION. :)

I know how time consuming it is to write good documentation. The existing tutorials are already a big help and will save you some time.

As a newbie myself I think what I miss most is a detailed documentation of the updateXXX functions regarding when to call what.
Example: If you have moving objects and change the localTranslation() in update(), do you have to call updateGeometricState(), updateWorldBounds(), updateCollisionTree() ? After loading a model through JmeBinaryReader, what updates should be done then ? What is necessary to get proper collision detection ? And for ray intersection results on triangles what do you have to call on loading and updating/rendering ?

Currently I do this on a trial'n'error basis and I'm quite sure that I update more than necessary as I see my frame rate going down dramatically.

I think the tutorials are a very good start and some explaining words for the several updateXXX and setXXX functions would help to extend the samples, get a deeper knowledge and finally find a start to an own project.

I'll definately keep that in mind as I'm writing the user's reference and the tutorial. Thanks.

I have two questions:

1. does multipass support mean that soft shadows will be possible?

2. will jme have the functionality to create the nessessary information for bsp / portal, so that we can use jme to "compile" the graphics in our own level editors?

Thanks.

Maybe my questions have run out of focus yesterday?

So i ask again:

1. does multipass support mean that soft shadows will be possible?

2. will jme have the functionality to create the nessessary information for bsp / portal, so that we can use jme to "compile" the graphics in our own level editors?

Thanks.
  1. If you can do soft shadows via multipass, you'll be able to program it in jME.  We'll have a shadow implementation that sits on top of multipass in .10.  Not certain it will be soft shadows yet.

2. Maybe.  This has not yet been determined.  It's an obvious goal though.

Thanks for the information renanse.

how's the status of 0.10? are there any news?

i'm really looking forward to multipass rendering!

Currently in CVS (use at your own risk :wink: ):

-Revamped Input System

-Multipass System

-Shadow Volumes (Making use of multipass system)

-JMEDesktop (Swing rendering in a 3D scene)

-Various bug fixes and enhancements

Still to come for 0.10

-BSP and/or Portal rendering

-Finish up a few things on some of the new features already in.

-Many bug fixes and convience utilities

So, things are coming along nicely.

Hello

Are there any  approx. date for the 0.10 realease ?

Thanlks, and btw, your doing a great, great job !  :mrgreen:

Baune

By GDC 2006 we hope.  :stuck_out_tongue:

Any chance of a nice water demo

kidneybean said:

Any chance of a nice water demo

are you saying i'm too slow releasing my effects? *s*  XD