Version 0.7

I think it’s about time we got another release out.

First of all, are we in agreement? Are things stable enough to warrent a release?

Secondly, what exactly has been added since 0.6? It’s been long enough for me that I have forgotten.

.obj .ms3d .3ds .md3 .jme

Does the documentation count? Big changes there. Will UI be in for .7?

Render Queue, Improvements to many of the states and state management are a few more. I’m sure there are many many more items since the last release was months ago.

In agreement.

You could also (only if we agree unanimously on this) to promote the AI as a seperate jar but include it as a release too? 0.1 maybe?

orrr would you rather wait for a proper test to show what it can do before promoting it?

DP

"DarkProphet" wrote:
You could also (only if we agree unanimously on this) to promote the AI as a seperate jar but include it as a release too? 0.1 maybe?

orrr would you rather wait for a proper test to show what it can do before promoting it?

DP

I think that it is very importent for jme and should be in the same jar.

Could you hold off for just a few days? I’ve finished my implementation of fragment programs, and now have the hardware to properly test them. If you’re anxious to release, however, I could merge my new FragmentProgram State into CVS and simply release the test after 0.7.

badmi, it has been agreed that the AI would be in a seperate Jar as it doesn’t follow the jME paradigm, which is:

jME provides a high performance scenegraph based rendering and physics system.

Unfortunely, AI isn’t part of the above description and so it will be in a seperate jar. I think thats for the better to be honest, because professional suits are infact developed in parallel; Sound, Rendering, Physics, AI are all infact different projects working in tandem.

DP

Besides a smaller .jar size, it allows you to release an update to your AI system without having to release an entirely new update to jME. I’m somewhat keen in model loading working the same way. Just put the XML and jME binary stuff in the main jar, and all the format converters in their own jar.

Could you hold off for just a few days? I've finished my implementation of fragment programs, and now have the hardware to properly test them. If you're anxious to release, however, I could merge my new FragmentProgram State into CVS and simply release the test after 0.7.

What's your time frame? Next weekend?

Besides a smaller .jar size, it allows you to release an update to your AI system without having to release an entirely new update to jME. I'm somewhat keen in model loading working the same way. Just put the XML and jME binary stuff in the main jar, and all the format converters in their own jar.

We can work towards that, simply a matter of changing the ant build script.
"DarkProphet" wrote:
badmi, it has been agreed that the AI would be in a seperate Jar as it doesn't follow the jME paradigm, which is:

jME provides a high performance scenegraph based rendering and physics system.

Unfortunely, AI isn't part of the above description and so it will be in a seperate jar. I think thats for the better to be honest, because professional suits are infact developed in parallel; Sound, Rendering, Physics, AI are all infact different projects working in tandem.

DP

Then can you add it to the Applications and Utilities section when you are ready? This way people will know that it exists.

yes, it will be under applications and utilites.

or even better, if mojo agrees, it could be in CVS and have a build script that builds the scenegraph, and another for the AI.

@mojo, were you referring to cep’s loaders or the AI?

DP

About the 0.7…

with the current CVS version, jme will not work on linux without modification because of the PropertiesDialog2 class (it’s a known bug, i’ve seen a post on the forum about this)

with the cvs version it’s not a problem for linux user like me (i just revert AbstractGame to use PropertiesDialog instead of PropertiesDialog2 and then rebuild) but with the official build jar 0.7 it could be a serious problem.

i don’t know if there are lot’s of linux user who use/develop jme. if it’s useful for the team, i can run all the jme test on linux to see if all is ok on linux with the current cvs version.

bye,

adenthar.

"mojomonk" wrote:
What's your time frame? Next weekend?
Definitely done by next weekend. All the pieces are in place, I just need to finish my demo to test all the new functionality. It'll be quick and easy - I hope.
"adenthar" wrote:
jme will not work on linux without modification because of the PropertiesDialog2 class
Good catch! As for the PropertiesDialog, that's a bit more difficult. As the Java screen mode querying is broken on Linux (of course!), the new properties dialog is broken. However, what is guaranteed to work across all platforms is the LWJGL display mode code. My suggestion is to stick with the lwjgl-only version until Java 1.5 is released, which should fix these outstanding bugs.

Any chance of supporting animations in version 0.7?

tomcat

JointController

KeyframeController

SpatialController

CurveController

What kind of animation are you thinking of?

I was thinking about creating a couple of things:

1. A milkshape model (not really too worried about the file format as yet) with bones and be able to move the bones around.

2. Be able to run pre-created animation i.e. animation which is saved (again in a suitable file format).

would be keen to know how to use the joint controller (havent seen it in the tutorial! ).

tomcat

Both of those Milkshape3D does. Just create the model in MS3D, save it, and load it with jME.

It would be pain to use JointController manually because joints can get pretty complex. Just do it in MS3D

Thx, looked at the running test (runs a bit slow on my machine). The test tells me that, I can create a MK3D with some animation. I am then able to run this animation by simply loading the model.

How do I go about stoping or starting the animation when I want to? (Can I do this?)

Can also create a MK3D model and be able to move the bones manually (i.e. programmatically). Lets say I have three bones b1,b2 and b3, how do I go about turning b2 by 90 degrees.

tomcat

Not sure if this is the correct thread for this or not, so accept my appologies ://

I like node cloning as a feature to be added to JME (could save a lot of resources when you have scene with a lot of similar models in it.) Can this be added easily to version 0.7?

tomcat