Engine Versions 3.3.x

I plan to release a patched version of the JME 3.3 libraries by the end of April. (The corresponding SDK/IDE release, if any, would be a separate topic.)

The fix for issue 1347 will surely be in it. Are there other fixes or PRs that should be included?

8 Likes

I think @Darkchaos had one he was sad didn’t make it into 3.3.0. I don’t know what the status is.

1 Like

Issues Shader compile error when checking for hardware skinning support on model with PBR material def. · Issue #1340 · jMonkeyEngine/jmonkeyengine · GitHub and PBR: Shader Compilation Error on Mac OS (GLSL110) · Issue #1304 · jMonkeyEngine/jmonkeyengine · GitHub would be nice if they could make it in the release.

1 Like

And maybe these :slightly_smiling_face:

https://github.com/jMonkeyEngine/jmonkeyengine/pull/1315

https://github.com/jMonkeyEngine/jmonkeyengine/pull/1338

The first one is an improvement and the second one is a bug fix.

1 Like

Those both seem good. And issue 995 is already targeted to 3.3.1 as well.

Here’s the real-time list: Issues · jMonkeyEngine/jmonkeyengine · GitHub

1 Like

I’ve gone ahead and added 1338 to the list.

I’m undecided about 1315. If I understand correctly, it’s purely a performance enhancement. Would anyone other than Ali_RS care to comment on 1315?

2 Likes

https://github.com/jMonkeyEngine/jmonkeyengine/pull/1315

…technically counts as a new feature and would normally fall outside of what we’d include in a point release.

For example, I could imagine a case where this new feature/change in behavior might be undesirable for someone who wrote a custom vertex shader that was relying on the looser culling behavior.

3 Likes

I believe that was 1304. Got it.

Technically all of the PRs I did on that weekend are probably worth looking at, specifically the one fixing PBR.
If possible we should also fix AWTPanels forcing OpenGL 2.0 (Compat Profile) · Issue #1336 · jMonkeyEngine/jmonkeyengine · GitHub, I just didn’t receive any input, so I guess I will just remove the coresponding line

1 Like

GitHub search turned up the following PRs you might be referring to:

Those all look like good candidates to me. Any others?

2 Likes

Maybe 1276: Fixes #1272 - Improve GLDebugDesktop by reducing manual overrides by MeFisto94 · Pull Request #1276 · jMonkeyEngine/jmonkeyengine · GitHub
But 1318 together with 1321 are the most important (along with 1336, for the SDK).

1 Like

I’ve added PR 1276: Improve GLDebugDesktop to the 3.3.1 list, since it fixes a regression.

I see that issue 1336: AWTPanels forcing OpenGL 2.0 is still open. What’s needed to resolve that issue?

Finding out why it has been implemented that way back then. Someone forced OpenGL 2.0, but why?

1 Like

Ask @Momoko_Fan / Kirill / shadowislord? * AwtKeyInput now synchronized properly between OGL and EDT threads · jMonkeyEngine/jmonkeyengine@fa92c00 · GitHub

1 Like

I doubt that we get an answer, but it’s worth a try!

1 Like

Hey, it’s nice that the github web pages can now go back that far in history!

Given its age, setting OpenGL2 was almost definitely to avoid using older versions.

Still, removing the line in a point release is not without risk… and probably what we want here is something that will look at the existing settings and copy the renderer setting forward if the supplied settings did not set it.

I just don’t know if removing it will break anyone and we should try as much as possible for point releases to be trouble-free.

2 Likes

Isn’t OpenGL 2 already the default for App Settings when nothing is specified?
So I think your solution would be equal to removing the line

You could be right…

But note that it was also the default back when that change was made:

Gotta tell you, browsing the JME source tree from 2011 was a really strange experience. Programmers are one of the few professions that get to time travel like that.

4 Likes

Maybe to prevent usage of the AWT Panel with OpenGL 1?

Was OpenGL 3.0 even released back then? Or was there only 1 and 2?

Just above that if you click:

1 Like