Viewing Javadocs

Hi guys,

I’ve been documenting the classes for my project, and I’m trying to view the documentation for my classes like a javadoc, and maybe export them in a document format. I’m sure I’m missing something small, so I’d appreciate it if you could offer me some guidance.

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

For me, I right click on the project and then say “Generate Javadoc”. If you’ve already tried that and it somehow doesn’t work then that is also useful information.

1 Like

Thanks pspeed, I hadn’t seen that. I was scrolling through the options and menu bar actually.

Doesn’t have Netbeans have a way to make it auto-update the Javadoc?
That’s very handy to have. Correct a Javadoc comment and instantly see it wherever the IDE displays Javadoc. Makes you the first to have the new updated Javadoc, so keeping them up-to-date is far more rewarding.
If Netbeans really doesn’t have that, I hope they’ll copy that feature from Eclipse soon.

Eclipse actually dosn’t update the javadoc it uses it directly from the sources if possible, and fallsback to normal javadoc if none is existent.

Yeah, with “the Javadoc” I meant Javadoc-in-the-sources.
I don’t have those javadoc artifacts on my radar, I can’t even remember when I last needed them.

But back on topic: Any chances that the SDK acquires this kind of functionality?
I wouldn’t mind whether it would be a plugin originating from the JME community or something that becomes available for Netbeans in general. It’s actually one of the slightly-above-average-relevance bullet points on my “why I returned to Eclipse” list, so I guess adding that would help with SDK adoption.

:lol: You went from suspecting something isn’t there to having it on your list of issues… In fact NetBeans has all that and more, its javadoc support is vastly superior to Eclipses. I guess the OP wanted something outside of the IDE, compiled javadocs.

(Definitely not of general interest: You misunderstood about issue list vs. suspecting.)

Possibly of general interest: What is that vastly superior Javadoc functionality in Netbeans?

@toolforger said: Doesn't have Netbeans have a way to make it auto-update the Javadoc?
@toolforger said: But back on topic: Any chances that the SDK acquires this kind of functionality? [..] It's actually one of the slightly-above-average-relevance bullet points on my "why I returned to Eclipse" list, so I guess adding that would help with SDK adoption.

I don’t know what I supposedly misunderstood there but to me this says pretty much what I stated. Maybe you wanted to say something else though, idk.

@toolforger said: Possibly of general interest: What is that vastly superior Javadoc functionality in Netbeans?

Well for one that you can export it and it has a view where you can create it, with checks for missing things etc… Basically a UI for the javadoc tool. But really, read the NetBeans manual ^^ Seriously, I can’t just mention all features of the IDE here… However I will correct misconceptions :slight_smile: Remember NetBeans is the reference IDE for Java.

to have the javadoc be generated on every build you have to modify the build script. Though tbh i’d rather just see the javadoc in the autocomplete anyway, type in the name of a class, push “.” and you can browse the javadoc by method… then ctrl+shift+b is view source, alt+f7 is find usages.

A zillion times better than viewing in the web browser.

I guess we’ll need somebody with real experience in both worlds to decide where the Javadoc support is better.
I was just surprised to see an extra Javadoc generation bullet point in Netbeans, and was annoyed that I’d need an invocation to get the Javadoc display updated. It’s all such a non-issue in Eclipse - the Javadoc formatting etc. is “just there”, I never had to even think about it.
Eclipse’s Javadoc display isn’t a browser BTW, it’s just a “popup on steroids”.

I didn’t want to go on about relative merits; fanbois are gonna love, haters are gonna hate, and real comparisons will require somebody who uses both systems on a regular basis and is still impartial about them - dunno if such a person has spoken up yet.

@toolforger said: I guess we'll need somebody with real experience in both worlds to decide where the Javadoc support is better. I was just surprised to see an extra Javadoc generation bullet point in Netbeans, and was annoyed that I'd need an invocation to get the Javadoc display updated. It's all such a non-issue in Eclipse - the Javadoc formatting etc. is "just there", I never had to even think about it. Eclipse's Javadoc display isn't a browser BTW, it's just a "popup on steroids".

I didn’t want to go on about relative merits; fanbois are gonna love, haters are gonna hate, and real comparisons will require somebody who uses both systems on a regular basis and is still impartial about them - dunno if such a person has spoken up yet.

I always took it that the menu item is for generating the javadoc for use outside of the IDE… you know, like bundling it up as part of a release or something.

Anyway, feature X does not imply that feature Y does not exist. So maybe instead of posturing that it doesn’t… the real solution is to ask the question “How?”. Unless your intent is to purposely tweak the fanbois… then bravo.

@icamefromspace said: to have the javadoc be generated on every build you have to modify the build script. Though tbh i'd rather just see the javadoc in the autocomplete anyway, type in the name of a class, push "." and you can browse the javadoc by method.. then ctrl+shift+b is view source, alt+f7 is find usages.

A zillion times better than viewing in the web browser.

You see all javadoc from your own project(s) right away when you change it, e.g. in the autocompletion as you say. Exactly as toolforger describes it above. Building it every time isn’t necessary for that to work and modifying the build script isn’t either. Viewing it in some “browser” is also not necessary but the OP was asking for some way to export a readable version.

@pspeed said: I always took it that the menu item is for generating the javadoc for use outside of the IDE... you know, like bundling it up as part of a release or something.

Yep. Apologies for abducting the original topic.

@pspeed said: Anyway, feature X does not imply that feature Y does not exist. So maybe instead of posturing that it doesn't... the real solution is to ask the question "How?".

Well, it didn’t for me, dunno why.
I was honestly under the impression that building the Javadoc explicitly was required.
If that normally isn’t the case - fine.

@pspeed said: Unless your intent is to purposely tweak the fanbois.. then bravo.

Heh. Some fanbois will tweak even if you actively try to avoid it - I tried and rewrote my first post and took out triggers.
Ah well. Some people are on hair trigger, they will go off no matter what you do.