Virtual Reality and JMonkey

Hey all!

Recently I have backed a project on Kick Starter called the Oculus Rift. (Link Below)

What it is promising is a low cost (300 USD) Virtual Reality headset.

Who is endorsing this VR Headset?

Major Industry “Players” such as Valve, Epic Games, Unity Technologies, etc. have expressed a real interest in this piece technology. Epic is planning on integrating this into their Unreal Engine. Meaning more imersive games, more realism in games, etc.

Where can I find this virtual reality device?

Please note that it will ship in December 2012 at least that is the plan + people who pledge 300 USD or more get the Occulus Rift - VR Headset.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1523379957/oculus-rift-step-into-the-game

What does can this mean for Jmoneky?

As it stands JMonkey is awesome. Why not make the games that come from JMonkey that more imersive with VR Headset support?

I mean who wouldnt want to play games made with J Monkey with a VR headset?

3079, Mythruna, Gentrieve 2, and the like.

1 Like

Seems interesting, hopefully it does better than the nintendo virtual boy, which was a complete failure. I just hope:

• It doesn’t strain your eyes, or give you headaches
  • It doesn’t weigh too much to give you neck pain from prolonged usage

I think the time is right for something like this to be popular though
1 Like
@wezrule said:
Seems interesting, hopefully it does better than the nintendo virtual boy, which was a complete failure. I just hope:
- It doesn't strain your eyes, or give you headaches
- It doesn't weigh too much to give you neck pain from prolonged usage

I think the time is right for something like this to be popular though

Indeed!

I really want this to take off!

December seems horribly optimistic…

@zarch said:
December seems horribly optimistic...

Agreed. I've stopped trying to burst peoples' bubble on these kickstarter hardware things. Kickstarter has a super-duper poor track record for hardware development. People who know how to take hardware to market don't usually need kickstarter. And people who don't already know how to take hardware to market will make poor estimates on the costs needed to take hardware to market.

For hardware, I suspect the only valid use for kickstarter is as a way to gauge a committed market size.
1 Like

I wonder what resoution they will support, currently the intresting 1920xsomewhat stuff is military grade and costs around that as well.

It says 640x800 per eye… and pretend that means it’s 1280x800

These are also interesting though I don’t know if they are more real or not:

http://smartgoggles.net/products/natalia/

The resolution is much better, though. 640x800 kind of sucks pretty badly if it’s really for each separate eye. It’s not like one eye sees the left part of the image and one the right.