Vista 64 issues with JME in Swing

Hi there,

I've got an application which uses JME embedded inside swing, for 3d previews. I intend to use JME in far more complex ways in future releases, but this is just the first version and I'm all about baby steps. :slight_smile: I don't have all of the JME jars installed, just the ones which were relevant to getting swing integration. (ie, no sound, etc)

It all works swimmingly well on XP and 32 bit Vista, but I've been getting reports from 64 bit Vista folk that they're getting errors.

The actual error message being reported is "Can't load IA 32-bit .dll on a AMD 64-bit platform", which eventually led me to the lwjgl forum here:,2860.15.html

I have confirmed that the version of lwjgl that I have is the latest, which includes the 64 bit dlls, and that the users have Java 1.6.0_13, 64 bit. Unfortunately, I tried adding in the "Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit()" they recommended and the problem persisted.

This one is causing me a lot of grief, because I can't reproduce it on my 32 bit machine in order to try and beat it out. I have someone who is testing my changes for me, but I'm limited to building and sending files - the person isn't a Java coder and thus I can't really have them do any code-stepping or debugging.

My latest testing version can be installed from here:

(You can just give it any old directory when it prompts for the Sims 3 install path, it won't write anything)

The problem can be replicated by, for example, using the tool to open the ".package" file from here:

then double clicking on the "Geometry Scenegraph" line and clicking the "Preview" button.

Full source code is available, but I'm guessing this is a fairly generic type of problem. I'm hoping that someone here might have some experience or suggestions for using JME on 64bit Vista?



(Edit: Just to clarify, I'm very familiar with Java, but not so much with JME. This is the first time I've actually used it beyond tweaking the tutorials, so there's every possibility I've done something utterly stupid!)

I tried it but apparently it requires some file from the supposed Sims 3 directory, more specifically GameBingameplay.package

Exception in thread "Thread-4" com.lepidllama.packageeditor.core.exception.ParsingRuntimeException: Sims 3GameBingameplay.package (The system cannot find the path specified)
        at com.lepidllama.packageeditor.dbpf2.IndexIterator2.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at com.lepidllama.packageeditor.resourcetable.ResourceTable.populate(Unknown Source)
        at com.lepidllama.packagegui.DialogLoadingFiletable$ Source)
        at Source)

I have Windows 7 64 bit and using LWJGL 64 bit with my applications without issues. One thing I can suggest is to use LWJGL2.2 (available on the nightly build) which apparently fixed that Toolkit issue.

I had this issue once. And the problem was that the dll loader uses a different path than java. So you could run it from 64-bit jre but when it checked for dll's it used some other path (which in my case refered to the 32bit jre). I don't remember what I changed, but some of PATH, CLASSPATH, JAVA_HOME.

Momoko_fan: Sorry about that. Guess it does look for files… I'll look into the path and classpath issues like Haladria suggested, and let you know what I find.

Thanks for the speedy response!