Website maintenance thread

Something I think is also important is whoever gets the wiki going again should document how all the pieces fit together. That way if something goes wrong again, we can get things going again quickly on another server. No more single point of failure.

I think what went wrong here isn’t that servers failed or that system access was revoked. Its that there is almost no possibility of recovery in the event of disaster. We need to keep that in mind with whatever solution we come up with.

We just very fortunate that the same thing didn’t happen to the forum… yet.

I tried building the wiki from the github repo the other day. Maybe we should focus on getting that working first?

That’s very very nice of you, really.
But that won’t solve the issue. With all due respect, what will happen when the server goes down for whatever reason, and you are unreachable/on vacation/not there anymore because you lost interest or because life threw some nasty things at your face?

Open source is like that, people come and leave, so you can’t really rely on people for things that should not change.

For your information @david_bernard_31 is working on a way to host the wiki on github.
Not really as a github wiki, but as a generated gh_pages site from the wiki sources.
People could contribute it by making PRs, and there is a new system in github to edit files online and automatically submit a PR from your edit.

4 Likes

My game and game company is a commercial entity. This is not open source. My software company has been in business since 2008 and there would be no reason for you to contact me if something broke because you would have full access to the cpanel for your virtual domain. As for me loosing interest, I doubt that my software company that is creating a commercial game with JMonkey and that has been around since 2008 will loose interests. As I said before, this is not just a hobby project for me. But, since you state that you have solved the problem by hosting it on github then there is no need for an alternative :slight_smile: … I was just being gracious for everything this community has given me over the year since I have been using JMonkey.

2 Likes

Yes, and that’s really appreciated, I thank you thousand times.

Well, I’ll keep your offer in the back of my mind ;), in case you know…things go wrong :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Always good to have a plan B :stuck_out_tongue: This offer is on the table with no expiration date so keep it in mind in the future as well.

1 Like

EXPRIMENTAL !!

My experimental wiki migration is available at :

What you can do to help:

• browse the doc and find issue (open a github ticket), then I could improve the converter
  • provide feedback on UX: navigation, online edition (no PR will be accepted)

It’s like an “alpha early access”: everything could be wipe, cancelled, trashed.

17 Likes

Thanks David.
I linked the wiki in the menu to your experiment, so people will naturally be directed to it. I’ll change it later when it gets relocated.

Just out of curiosity, how did you do the automatic migration?

short response: I’m writing a dokuwiki’s renderer plugin (in php), that I call from dokuwiki’cli.

long response: TBD in blog (why, how, …)

3 Likes

Nice just played a bit around with the github one, and must say It looks better then I expected from the description awesome work :slight_smile:

We can probably rescue most stuff that way, and even if we all suddenly vanish, the project could be forked and revived by others, thats exactly the flexibility we need.

(Not to mention that download as zip / clone for backups is pretty trivial to do.

3 Likes

Super nice job, David. I really like how you got all the TOC working and nicely formatted on the left sidebar. It looks great.

I’m sure we’ll have many comments and suggestions for improvement, but this is a good start and I’m really happy to see progress being made porting the wiki to a stable environment.

Many thanks for doing this.

Does anyone know where I can find the Math and Scenegraph for Dummies as… well… I’m a dummy?

It’s okay. This dummy found it.

No it’s not okay - 404’s :sob:

less than 5min ago (on your ping), I just push the tutorials (but not integrated / linked into wiki) :

6 Likes

Thank you

Hey, I’m too young to vanish!

Oops! :wink:

I’m looking forward for the Turkish deface. :chipmunk:
Srsly guys, why you don’t redirect the domain to a page that says under maintenance or something?

Why don’t you?

Sure, PM me the credentials.