Website maintenance thread

Well, actually I forgot about the most important. Please keep up the good work, I really appreciate what all you people did for this engine.

2 Likes

Do anybody know where I can find SDK 3.0 the stable one? I normally work with 3.1 but I have a special situation and SDK 3.0 would be easier in that case :slight_smile:

if you would tell use the issue we could fix it so it’s also as easy as 3.1 :stuck_out_tongue:
There was a post/thread on here, maybe maximum 2 months ago with the direct download links. They were reachable but the front page wasn’t. Can’t tell you if that still applies, though.

What he wanted to say is that time/manpower is really the issue not the money.
Of course if we had a huge money flow so we were a foundation some could leave their daytime job to work on jme but that’s a risk not everybody is willing to take.

Oh and don’t be anxious about contributions. If you are unsure you can post your code here on the forums for feedback or you could also create a pr and either someone brings it to maturity or tells you how you could enhance it.
That’s what PRs are for: Review and Improvement.

But sure, we need reliable hosting, without that it’s going to be tough.

@Darkchaos: I would have to migrate that old crap I want to work with :slight_smile: no big deal really, but yeah would make things easier in the short run for me that’s all. Just in case somebody knows that link. I now also start to search through the threads maybe I will find it.

And as I said I normally work with 3.1 SDK as even the blender import with animations seems to work there (I’m very impressed by that :smile:) so my tool chain could be limited to only blender, inkscape and jME SDK, so no need to bother. So keep the good work up.

Well we actually even have a 3.0->3.1 Automatic Project Upgrader so I can’t imagine what 3.1 couldn’t do what 3.0 could, but if it’s no problem for you/related to your code simply being 3.0, that’s okay :slight_smile:
And yeah, our Blender Guy rocks :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

So is are the pages ever coming back? Or do I have to volunteer a server for them?

If you can hack the server and get the data for us then we will be happy to host them or move them to github. Else we’ll have to wait for the person with the keys to come back from alien abduction or whatever.

Edit: and folks, this is why you should always shun single points of failure.

1 Like

My haxor skills are from the 90s unfortunately and since I am bonded for work purposes I would not try even if I upgraded my haxor skills. Don’t you guys have the wiki content checked in somewhere at least?

Yeah, on github in an old version and in the SDK in a maybe even older one

*facepalm*

Rule #1 … ALWAYS CHECK IN YOUR WORK!!

Well I have to admit that I am no web dev so it could be that they have some backups flying around but when your web guys get kidnapped your backups vanish with them

Sounds like someone forgot to backup the web guy :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

But luckily there’s this “The Internet doesn’t forget a thing” thing.
http://web.archive.org/web/20160318231933/http://wiki.jmonkeyengine.org/doku.php

Here you go :wink:

1 Like

What I can gather from this thread is the web maintenance guy has been kidnapped by aliens and we are on the edge of entering a post apocalyptic planet earth that is ruled by intelligent sloths.

On a more serious note is there a way we can make user donations towards a specific cause. I would be more than happy to help get Jmonkey back on paid hosted server.

Imo a solution for these web guy abductions, that are becoming quite frequent, could be to setup something that synchronize everything with a github repo so you could accept PRs from the community and have a backup when things like that happens.

…or just use github’s wiki which would do exactly that.

We have backups from a month ago or so but there were errors doing the conversion or something.

I try to remain blissfully ignorant on these matters so that I can complain like the rest of you. So I have no idea why there are no simple solutions.

1 Like

It’s funny … we can create super cool video game code but we can’t keep a static web site up lol

Probably for the same reason that I can find time to play video games but the backyard is an overgrown jungle. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@pspeed

…or just use github’s wiki which would do exactly that.

We have backups from a month ago or so but there were errors doing the conversion or something.

I try to remain blissfully ignorant on these matters so that I can complain like the rest of you. So I have no idea why there are no simple solutions.

I second that motion. Moving everything over to github sounds like an excellent. It also would be an excellent opportunity to update some of the older tutorials.

I think that it is quite possible to run a normal, bare-metal set of server applications alongside docker. Docker just a specialized VM on which you run a Linux distribution, and certain ports (configurable) are forwarded to it. Discourse has some strict software stack requirements that can be a pain to set up on a commodity server, so they insulate it from whatever the server is running natively, but if you want to run a standard wiki package/static pages/etc, they could live on the host, or your preferred package may already have a docker image…

In which case, the internals are managed by SSHing into the docker machine and treating it like a stand-alone server.

Sorry, this is vague. Hope it’s a little useful.