Webstart demo issues

Hello all

If any of you get an opportunity, would you mind testing my demo:

http://www.foursidedtriangle.com/jme/pubdemo.html

I have had reports back from some people who have said that they are getting issues when they run the demo.

If it loads for you, clicking the terrain will move you (a la Diablo or TitanQuest). Pressing ‘r’ will toggle the rain effect, and pressing ‘m’ will toggle the music. Some people have told me that they just see the HUD (compass) over a black screen after the demo has loaded.

I would appreciate your feedback.

Thank you

TJ

Runs quite nicely for me.  60-100 FPS (avg 75)

Nice use of sound and the day/night cycle!

Specs:

Java 1.6.0_02

Windows XP Pro sp2

Intel Core 2 6700 2.6GHz

nVidia GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB

Works here, including rain and music. It looks very nice too… too bad the controls don't allow you to look around a bit more (you're always kind of staring at the ground). Well it's just a test I suppose…

Thanks for the feedback guys. What this other person is saying is that they see the dwarf, the grass and the wagon at the start, but then the screen goes black except for the compass in the top right corner. Do you have idea what might be causing that ? We're all looking at the same code and libraries after all.

Failing on OS X 10.4.10.

Appears the incorrect native files are being provided:

java.lang.LinkageError: Version mismatch: jar version is '9', native libary version is '8'

at org.lwjgl.Sys.<clinit>(Sys.java:105)

at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.<clinit>(Display.java:111)

at com.jme.system.lwjgl.LWJGLPropertiesDialog.<init>(Unknown Source)

at com.jme.app.AbstractGame.getAttributes(Unknown Source)

at com.jme.app.BaseGame.start(Unknown Source)

at com.foursidedtriangle.tjjmedemo.TJJmeDemo.main(TJJmeDemo.java:338)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:585)

at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.executeApplication(Launcher.java:1161)

at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.executeMainClass(Launcher.java:1108)

at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.continueLaunch(Launcher.java:951)

at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.handleApplicationDesc(Launcher.java:522)

at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.handleLaunchFile(Launcher.java:218)

at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.run(Launcher.java:165)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:613)

Thank you mojomonk. To be honest I'd kind of overlooked the Mac OS on this one. It is for a specific target, and they are all Windows (I believe). I shall address this though.

TJJME said:

Thanks for the feedback guys. What this other person is saying is that they see the dwarf, the grass and the wagon at the start, but then the screen goes black except for the compass in the top right corner. Do you have idea what might be causing that ? We're all looking at the same code and libraries after all.

How are you putting the compass on the screen?  And is it using texture rendering?  Perhaps they have some kind of context/buffer switching issue.  Have them try updating their video drivers if you haven't done so already and can.

Thanks, that's a great idea. I'll do that.

ps. I've sent you an email to your renanse dot com address. I don't know whether you've had that yet.

On Gentoo Linux (Kernel 2.6):

An error occurred while launching/running the application.

Title: Toby Stephens - jME Demo
Vendor: foursidedtriangle
Category: Download Error

Unable to load resource: http://www.foursidedtriangle.com/jme/lwjgl-linux.jar

Please mind most people who like free (as in freedom  ;)) software don't necessarily use Windows. 

Indeed  :wink:

Nice demo!

Some issues though:

At first it works fine on my NVidia 7400Go at about 35 fps, but after I turn on wireframe rendering and the framerate drops below 6 fps I get the black screen issue you describe. Looks like timing issues to me. The camera starts to randomly rotate around the player at about below 20 fps, the framerate continues to decrease, eventually leading to a locked app at reported 1 fps (but irresponsive to keypresses or window events).

Are you using ChaseCamera? I've had some timing problems with that class on slow computers a while ago, eventually leading to me not using that class anymore, so I'm not sure if that's fixed by now.

Possibly another timing problem: At app startup, I sometimes see and hear the rain effect which is then immediately faded out.

And when turning on bounds rendering, I can see one or bounding spheres(?) rapidly changing size and/or rotation which are either huge or close to the camera and have no obvious connection to scene elements.

Otherwise this looks both promising and ambitious - looking forward to see more demos :slight_smile:

Thanks hevee. Very useful feedback.

I think you may have nailed it on the head. I do use ChaseCamera and it did cause issues in an earlier design of this demo. I shall remove the ChaseCamera and see if that makes any improvement. Thank you for taking the time to check out my demo.

You should also be able to simply disable springs in the chasecamera.

@hevee - I have put another version up that simply disables the springs in the chasecamera, as per ren's suggestions. It would be really helpful if you were able to try the demo again with your wireframe (low fps) test and see if that is any better. Thanks.

The framerate stabilizes at 2-3 fps now when turning on wireframe, so the application stays somewhat responsive. And the camera stays in place!

But the character won't move (at least not visibly) when at 3 fps. The dwarf turns to face the correct direction, and even plays it's run animation, but stays put.

HTH

Thanks hevee. It seems that turning the springy off on the ChaseCam really made all the difference.

btw, I put a check on the frame rate and if it's below 5fps I don't even try to move the guy :wink:

Again, thank you very much for all who took the time to help me test this demo.

llama said:

too bad the controls don't allow you to look around a bit more (you're always kind of staring at the ground). Well it's just a test I suppose..

i found a cheat!  press 'p'  and you can look around freely  :)

anyway its looking very nice, i love the trees, are those models or generated?

Ran it on OS X through Parallels on a Windows XP install. Ran at about 15-20 FPS, and looked good. Good job. Get the OS X webstart working so I can run it in its full glory. :wink:

@Core-Dump: Thanks. The trees are models. Very low poly count. The leaves are quads with transparent textures.

@mojomonk: Yes, sorry about the OS X version. I'll get that issue with the native library sorted after work tonight and post back. You might have to be my tester though as I don't have a Mac OS anywhere here :wink:

renanse said:

You should also be able to simply disable springs in the chasecamera.

I wonder if this is still a problem with the timer (the startup value being so large a Spring somewhere goes NaN or something like that?)