Weekly Game Challange

Hehe, is really funny the troll

I’m getting an error after playing for a while

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Scene graph is not properly updated for rendering.
1 Like

Hi @xuan,
I just played your game “Captain’s Log”. One word, brilliant…

I really really enjoyed the art style and also the expressions of the captain.

Really good work.

1 Like

Hehe, oops.

Thanks, I actually know what is the problem with that.

It is he physics thread that is trying to do stuff on the jME scene graph.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey guys,

I uploaded a first version of my game “Battleships 3D”. I am also thinking about making this Open Source…

Anyway, here is the link: Dropbox - Battleships 3D.zip - Simplify your life

Have fun and please give me some feedback.

Greetings
Domenic

2 Likes

@ndebruyn FaceOff, I like it. Shooting the words with physics was kinda relaxing, if the enemies spawned faster it could get hectic fast. Yes I modeled, animated and textured Doge, and realized how long it’s been since I used blender for animation x.x

@xuan Captains Log is really well done. I spent half the time playing trying different things to see Picard’s reactions! Just as I was thinking “will this get any harder” I hit the armada.

@Domenic Battleships 3D is very well done. I haven’t tested the networked play yet, but the ai was very competent (killed me >.>). The states don’t match up properly when the player hits an enemy ship though, it will display the computers turn while it waits for my next shot. It also froze at the end of the match. I’ll fiddle with it some more later and see if that’s a recurring bug or not.

edit: just realized the link I posted was straight to my drive, and not my blog with more info… well that was dumb, anyone interested in my breakdown can see it here Mr U Games: Bork Pawtrol

3 Likes

Thanks, it lacks some diversity in gameplay, more enemies, boss fights, power ups, etc so it doesn’t become monotonous, I there’s definitively room to tweak the difficulty.

Glad to hear, 8 bit style graphics are trendy but they aren’t really 8bit (and that’s good in a way), I wanted to make something more accurate.
It was fun to make assets using a limited palette, but it demands too much time for a one week cycle.

I just realized you did BoxDrop, I have it in my phone and it’s really entertaining, very well executed.
btw, did you update it recently? because now the lower part looks all blue, there used to be water and ground before in my phone.

Works very well and it looks very good, congratulations.
I find funny the “technological discrepancy” between the ships and the missiles :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Hey @xuan, yeah I did develop BoxDrop and I know of the issue you are having.
It doesn’t happen always, so I think it has to do with depth buffer fighting.
I will try to fix this as soon as possible.

1 Like

I really like the Heist theme and I even thought of a game… wish I had time to make it. If I ever participate in one of these weekly games then I may resurrect it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah I also have a nice idea. I really hope I will get time to work on it.
My idea is a FPS Western outlaw game.

1 Like

Mine is a puzzle game where you control minions to infiltrate somewhere to steal something and get out without being detected. I can even picture the graphics, hear the music in my head that I would write, … if only I could pause life for a little bit to work on it.

2 Likes

Excuse me if this is a too private question: Why do you have so little time? Is it because of your job, your children or just all together? I am just interested.
Greeting
Domenic

1 Like

My wife has brain cancer and while the tumor is stable, that still takes a decent amount of time. Combine that with the fact that I have two children of the age where they have things like gymnastics, music lessons, etc… and a wife who can’t drive. I easily spend 10-15 hours a week or more just driving people to where they need to go and waiting with them. I also end up having to pitch in a lot more with the family just to keep things running.

My day job has been pretty flexible but it also takes a tremendous amount of focus, especially since I’m constantly interrupted by getting people to the appointments that they need to be at. It ends up amounting to more than 40 hours a week just to handle the extra constant context switching. It used to be better and I could divide my time up more easily, take leave without pay to work on games, and stuff. We’re constantly behind now so there’s no real slack to do that anymore.

For the most part, since a month ago or so, I’m on an indefinite hiatus from game development. With the little time I have left to do anything game related, I will spend it on my open source libraries like Lemur, sim-ethereal, etc…

The one exception to this is that my son is interested in game development. So I may work on projects with him. I plan to work on something with him over spring break next month. So we’ll see what comes of that.

1 Like

Thanks for answering!

Of course I (and probably the whole community here) wish you and your family the best! I also hope that you will have more time in the future to work on your game projects again, either alone or with your son, what probably would make much more fun I guess!

Anyway, we are very glad to have you and hope that you continue to help us with our stupid questions :slight_smile:

Your Domenic

6 Likes

Hello everyone, how are your projects going this week? I’ve been wondering, do you guys like the 1 week challenge? Is it too difficult? Would more people be interested in participating if it was 2 weeks, a month? I’ll be posting my project later today and deciding the next theme.

1 Like

A month perhaps?

2 Likes

Hi! I’m looking forward to try your game.
I’m working on something, close to finish, I just need some writing for the story :chimpanzee_surprised:

I like the weekly challenge, it’s motivating but it can also be too demanding.
Maybe more time will be better but at the same time we would have more expectations on the end result and it could backfire trying to get too much done.
For me the important thing is to have some timeboxing, get something done and move on to the next thing.

1 Like

For me, if I’m honest with myself… one week or one month doesn’t really matter. If it were a month long then I’d set my own expectations higher and still not have time to do what needs doing.

Personally, I think one week is good. It’s a nice compromise between the 48 hours jams and the longer month-long-jams. For some people, it effectively is a 48 jam since the weekend may be the only time they have to work on it.

Perhaps as a compromise you could come up with the next them on Friday instead of Monday… but still let the jam run through to Monday. This gives someone who didn’t have time for that last one-week jam maybe a little extra weekend prep time for the next one. Also, the folks wrapping up their current one can start thinking about the next theme.

1 Like

Thanks for the responses on this. I’ve been mulling over the scheduling alot myself since I started this after leaving my last job, and it’s about time I go back to having a job (and therefore, less time to do this). These past 5 weeks I’ve tried to do the game thing as though it were my job. The opportunity was fun but I do need to start making money again XD

I think a good compromise is to not do this every, but every week and a half? I’ll announce on Friday giving you the first weekend, the following week, and that final weekend with the games do on that Monday. That would be 10 days, not really much different, but there’s a week between contests where people who missed the deadline could trickle in and we can all give feedback or take a short break before diving headlong into the next project.

What do you guys think? 10 day contest with the short break every other week?

1 Like

And here’s this weeks entry from me. I’ll patch it tomorrow to include the sfx and a splash screen explaining the game better. For now controls are arrow keys and spacebar. M to mute music again.

2 Likes

Good work again @QSDragon.
I think this game has lots of potential.
Something with the controls and collision detection does feel of though, but I can’t put my finger on it.
The pavement textures are also missing.
Other than that it is a nice game.
Sounds like a lot of work has been done on this game in the background that we are not aware of.

EDIT:
O yeah, I fell ill over the weekend with a stomach virus so I am still busy with my game.
Also, I agree with make this game challenge a bit longer and also giving the week break in between.
I only have some weekend to work.

1 Like