Weekly Game Challange

Not sure how that texture got changed around in the material but it’s updated now. If you can be more specific on what’s off with the controls I can probably sort it out. The collision is kind of a mess as I needed something that worked but I also had control over to give the proper bounce, otherwise it ends up with the player stuck in the middle of a traffic jam unable to move. It does lead to you getting squished through tiny gaps and flung across the road when enough cars are involved though.

Thanks for giving it a try :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi, here’s my game for the heist theme,

The Chase is better than the catch

Download: Dropbox - chase-catch.jar - Simplify your life

I didn’t get to add sounds or menus this time, but there’s a kind of story where you need to do missions to prepare for the final Bank heist. It’s a sort of Grand theft auto but there are no other cars or people to run over, that’d be the next logic step. I used some textures from opengameart.org that gave it a more cyberpunk look than I planned, more like Quarantine, but that’s fine. I wanted to design my own city but that was taking to much time so it ended being a boring auto generated one.

Hope you like it.

3 Likes

@QSDragon Great job! The game is very fun when it gets packed with cops,
I didn’t realize the number on the left were the fps and I noticed it was slowly going down as cops started to appear so I thought it was like a countdown or something to beat the game :laughing:
It has a good feeling and the music detail is great.
I’d like to see the procedurally generated tracks in the future.

1 Like

@xuan Ohh wow that VERY much reminds me of really old school GTA! Nicely done getting a story in, the dialogue is fun and really sells the heist. I’m curious what you used for the car physics?

I didn’t realize the number on the left were the fps and I noticed it was slowly going down as cops started to appear so I thought it was like a countdown or something to beat the game :laughing:

That number IS a countdown of sorts, if you get it to 0 the game will crash, and you win :slight_smile:

1 Like

@xuan, I just played your game and like @QSDragon said, there is some GTA influence.

A very well executed game. Sounding this game off and you have a winner.

Good job.

1 Like

Hey all,

It is rather late than never, right!

So here is my LATE entry to last weeks theme. It took me longer because I did add some extra FAT to the game.
So this time I decided I am going to look for art and then base my game around that.
Well I know it is not the correct way to go but, HEY, it kind of worked for me.

Link to game: MostWanted.zip - Google Drive

Objective:
You as player are and outlaw who is new to it all.
Mission is to become the most wanted outlaw in the west. Hence the name of my game Most Wanted.

Controls are simple:
Left mouse click to shoot or pickup gold or ammo.

For now there are only 3 levels but I have a system in place to take it further.
Also, I do plan to make this game a finished product on the google play store.

6 Likes

I looks Great! It has a very high level of polish, a lot of details, very professional.
It’s really cool to see some challenge games became real products! Good luck with it

I like how you need to worry about shooting the bottles while there are bad guys shooting at you :laughing:

Bullet. I based the car on the Fancy car example.
It still need a lot of adjustments, not in can became too slippery when using the handbreak, also the breaks are not very reliable, I found myself smashing into walls pretty frequently.

1 Like

@ndebruyn Everything Xuan said, this game is really well done! Good luck taking it all the way to the playstore :wink:

@xuan Yeah, I was smashing into walls alot as well, though I didn’t really think it was a problem, it made up for the lack of obstacles by making the driving difficult

At everyone else, I have a theme starting this weekend and extending to April 3rd…

Bombs
Defuse them, plant them, drop them, make them sprout flowers, just so long as you have a mechanic involving devices that go boom!

2 Likes

Hey @QSDragon,
Awesome theme. Sounds like we are going to have fun on this one.
I think I will be making a 3D game this time. yeah…

1 Like

Ack, I realized I wrote the 3rd, the 2 weekends actually puts it on the 27th! Sorry if I confused anyone :confused:

2 Likes

Hehe, no problem.
So just to make sure that is the 27th March, right?

1 Like

hehe, yes, 27th of march for the 10 day “weekly” challenge… weekly+? I announced the theme on the 17th so I just failed at basic math…

2 Likes

Vive la révolution!

3 Likes

I guess we all failed this week, but I have something to post still :smiley:
Definitively not a finished product, I tried to wrap it up as much is I could today because I won’t be able to do it later and it was getting long, what is it? well…

It’s a bomber!

Download link: Dropbox - its-a-bomber.jar - Simplify your life

3 Likes

I’ll have to try it out tomorrow if I get the chance. I started a full time
job, moving company, so my programming time basically disappeared. (but I
get to drive trucks now, so… I think I know what next theme will be, lol)
I was about halfway through a game when I realized it was not fun, so I
scrapped it and started a different one… that’s no where near finished :confused:

Glad to see someone made it before the next theme was announced though!

2 Likes

Sorry, I still haven’t had time to play your bombing game (I will tomorrow once I get home) but for those playing along at home I wanted to update the theme

Small vs Large

I’m thinking xwings and the deathstar, or mice and elephants, fish, the tardis? Anything that highlights the differences between size real or perceived!

1 Like

Finally got around to playing! Solid framework, the collisions on everything seem very good and the different enemy types means you can’t just camp out at one altitude. I also love dropping bombs on spitfires :laughing: nicely done!

There is a bug where the freecam can be manipulated before the game fully boots up though causing the camera to point in strange directions (shake your mouse during the loading screen to reproduce)

1 Like

Thanks for trying it, I’m glad you liked it. I’m considering buying some nice sprites and doing an android version of it.

Yes, I found that bug myself at the last moment, but I decided to leave it there and get over with.

1 Like

looks good, can you share it to me, pavulzavala@gmail.com, i want to understand how to use JME3

1 Like